John Smith's Magnet

Jordan 1989

York's pubs had the nicest John Smith's/Magnet I ever had the pleasure in tasting.

Thomas's on Museum Street and The Corner Pin off Rougier Street.

The best pint bar none however was at The Wild Man pub on the A64 near Tadcaster (explains a lot!). It is now an Agraah restaurant which is a shame. Also in North Yorkshire, The Duke Of York in Whitby also had a cracking pint.

Man, I miss the stuff!!

My dad used to sell reservoirs of the stuff. Rising Sun at Nethergreen and Masons Arms at Crookes. You sound like one of his customers :)

I was. Your Dad's name is John and he kept all his beers and larger spot on. His Magnet was excellent.

I was. Your Dad's name is John and he kept all his beers and larger spot on. His Magnet was excellent.

Yes, John Wilson. Sadly, he died last October :( but he remained very proud of his good reputation. He had an excellent memory and I bet he would have remembered you (if I knew who you were!! ha ha)

My dad didn't have the pleasure of your custom then. He was at the Rising Sun 1959 to 1975.. Masons 1975 to 1985.

Graham Pugh was landlord of the Rising Sun up to 1987 (IIRC). That was when I supped my first pint in there. However, at that time my 'local' was The West End on Glossop Road.

In my time being a regular at The Rising Sun Pete and Linda Bain were landlord and landlady. Think they left around 1991.

In my opinion, the Sun was never the same after their departure. Another story for another day!

Only place I've seen it is the **** Inn at Oughtibridge... anyone know where else I can get a good priced pint of Magnet in a decent environment within the borders of our fine city? Me and my friend are addicted!

Two in Ecclesfield,The stocks and the Greyhound.

Archived