John Smith's Magnet

Jordan 1989

Difficult to compare as side by side beers, as IMO they are different beer styles.

I would regard Stones as a Pale Ale and Magnet as a Special Bitter.

There is much more roastiness and toffee flavour in Magnet from the use of the darker malts.

Stones is balanced more towards the hops with quite a clean malt profile (IIRC they use a blend of American and Euro hops)........slightly off topic, but I think that different hops were used for cask conditioned Stones.

I would say that Stones is easier drinking than Magnet.

How do people find magnet compares to stones?

(both on keg that is)

I'd be bored after two pints of Stones. I would not be bored after a 'gallon of Magnet', just well en route to Drunkland!!

Best pint of Stones I ever had was at The Castle, Bolsterstone. The pub was in The Good Beer Guide and the Stones was 'gravity dispensed'. It was as light as air with a most wonderful taste.

Good pint of Magnet in The sportsman on Denby Street in the mid to late 70's when kept by Reg Foreshaw

also used to drink it in The \Wyvern and The vulcan and possibly Royal Oak on the tuesday night discos. Think The Marples & Blue Bell may have also been John Smiths Houses

Remember asking for a pint of mix (1/2 John Smiths 1/2 Magnet) in the Vulcan and the guy behind the Bar saying you can't make a good pin out of two bad ones.

Archived