The richest in the UK, Could they bring us out of recession?

Ok, let's start by saying this..

the 1,000 wealthiest people in the country are now worth a combined £414.260 billion, equivalent to more than a third of the national debt.

Ok, more than 1/3 of the national debt, not quite 1/2, but damned near...

The number 1 richest has a not too shabby £12.7 Billion balance on his bank account, this is after having 27% (£4.8bn) wiped off last year..

Now, think about it this way, and this is just a hypothetical situation/idea, but...

Imagine if (like I said on my other thread) the top 1000, or even top 700 paid 1/2 thier wealth, back into the country, this would ease off the national debt, and help to (of not do it) bring us out of recession..

the best method I could think of for this, would be not to just hand over the money bit by bit to the public, and not to let the government take control of it, but for some third party to calculate how much is owed by the public and businesses to the top (say 25?) credit companies..

Then, working from most owed, to least owed, split the money, on a percentage based calculation. (pay off the same percent of debt from each company, the one with most owed receives most money, yes, but it balances out across the board)

Then, each company (again, overseen by the third party) do the same with their customers, using the exact same method..

This would then mean that they could give their current customers the choice of....

A) pay off your debt earlier by keeping the same payment, but there's less to pay..

or

B) pay less per month, over the same remaining term..

So, the discussion on this thread would be, do you think this method would work? or do you have any other ideas/methods for the same outcome, perhaps a better idea?

NOT wether or not the rich would actually do this...

Ok, let's start by saying this..

Ok, more than 1/3 of the national debt, not quite 1/2, but damned near...

The number 1 richest has a not too shabby £12.7 Billion balance on his bank account, this is after having 27% (£4.8bn) wiped off last year..

Now, think about it this way, and this is just a hypothetical situation/idea, but...

Imagine if (like I said on my other thread) the top 1000, or even top 700 paid 1/2 thier wealth, back into the country, this would ease off the national debt, and help to (of not do it) bring us out of recession..

the best method I could think of for this, would be not to just hand over the money bit by bit to the public, and not to let the government take control of it, but for some third party to calculate how much is owed by the public and businesses to the top (say 25?) credit companies..

Then, working from most owed, to least owed, split the money, on a percentage based calculation. (pay off the same percent of debt from each company, the one with most owed receives most money, yes, but it balances out across the board)

Then, each company (again, overseen by the third party) do the same with their customers, using the exact same method..

This would then mean that they could give their current customers the choice of....

A) pay off your debt earlier by keeping the same payment, but there's less to pay..

or

B) pay less per month, over the same remaining term..

So, the discussion on this thread would be, do you think this method would work? or do you have any other ideas/methods for the same outcome, perhaps a better idea?

NOT wether or not the rich would actually do this...

The biggest trick this government has played yet is making us all believe we are in a recession or even a double dip recession, this country has more wealth than it will ever need but the problem is they are just being too greedy and not sharing the wealth or not giving it back.

recession... but david cameron had 4 holidays last year :huh:

recession... the average mp salary is £65,000, and we have over 650 mp's as of 2010, you do the math, if we are in such bad recession and our country is in so much trouble then why are we wasting so much money on people sat around doing nothing ???

greed is what ruins this country, and the problem with your idea is that all those rich people are greedy, that's why they are rich. so they're not about to help the scum in the drainpipe because they are making money off of us awell.

oh, I know that stingray-man, that's why I said it's a hypothetical scenario, if it actually did happen, do you think my method would work? is there a better method etc..

possibly but the thing i think you are missing is, who owns all the debt companys that you are talking about paying back with the richer people's money ?

all the people on that list own the businesses that create the problems in the 1st place, so do you think they would wipe off the debt we owe with their own wealth ? How else did they get wealthy in the 1st place.

i think easier than working out a method to pay them back would be trying to get some of these company's and corporations to wipe of a certain amount of debt owed, and of course reduce interest rates so this chain of people being stuck in debt for life would end.

The richest in the UK, Could they bring us out of recession? No but they could help. The fundamental question to be answered is why are we in a recession in the first place? The answer in my view is that it is a spurious argument and is irrelevant. What really matters, as in all walks of life, is that you spend less than you earn and save the rest to buy things as and when you can afford them. So applying this the the government (HMG) we get the following:

Annual money received by HMG £563bn approx.

Annual money spent by HMG £700bn and falling (so we are told).

The difference is the deficit and is added directly to our national debt pile which currently stands at between £1tn and £5tn depending on which figures you use. Now that IS a lot of money and we have to pay interest to service this debt.

So whilever we run the economy as we are, the debt pile increases and our interest payments to service the debt increases, meaning we have less money to spend on the NHS etc.. What we need is a change of focus such that our politicians and Whitehall manderins cannot spend more than they earn. If they wish, they can spend the £563bn to promote industry, jobs, employment but they choose to spend it on overseas aid, welfare, wars, the EU et al. Some rather hard choices to be made here.

So if you took ALL the money off the rich, it would simply reduce the national debt for a little while and make no real difference as HMG would continue to spend at a rate faster than they earn and the debt pile would start to rise again.

What the rich COULD do though is invest directly in industry and create some worthwhile employment..... which is possibly why they are rich in the first place!! One area crying out for some real investment is in waste management, currently a real mess. Imagine a fully joined up service where all waste is collected centrally, screened for materials that can be recycled and then bio-digested to generate gas to make electricity. Outputs would be electricity and material that can be used as compost or burned to produce yet more power. Add in the sewerage network to generate even more gas and compost. Green, clean and a major employer doing an environmentally sound job. If I had the money, I'd invest in this! I'm sure there are many other worthwhile projects the rich could get involved in that would create lots of employment.

Employment pays the bills, keeps people busy, active and productive and is what drives an economy forwards. It is the single most important problem that needs to be fixed as without money, you struggle to live in our current society.

Archived