Taking up cycling - advice needed please

I've decided to give the car a break and take up cycling. It's been some years (30 to be precise!) and my body is not like it used to be so I'm looking for something comfortable on the old bones! Has anyone got advice on whether I should go for a road bike or a mountain type bike as I understand that most road bikes don't have suspension (excuse my ignorance if this is incorrect or irrelevant) and I was wondering if a bike with suspension would be better on my back, should I accidentally run into a pothole or something! (well, there's a lot of them about!!).

I will probably be using it on some of the off road cycle paths to begin with before I venture onto roads, to build up my confidence a bit, but any advice what type of bike/accessories I will need would be most helpful.

Also, how do you measure up the right height for the seat/handle bars etc to avoid back issues? I've been told a straight leg from saddle to lower pedal is the right height - is this correct?

Many thanks.

Milly

Thanks for that. Not sure I want to peddle and get nowhere - I've an exercise bike for that! I've seen a couple of bikes I like and they are both road bikes, but just wondered how they were for comfort, especially on the back. I'm not going to be racing around like a mad woman on it, just nice leisure rides along some of the off road paths :o)

I'd avoid a road bike unless you are after absolute speed. They are delicate and hard-riding. On the other hand they handle well and are fast.

A 'proper' mountain bike will be harder work on the road than it needs to be, but if you get a half decent one with no suspension on the back, and fit it with road wheels and tyres (narrower and smoother, more like road bike tyres) it will be fine. Mountain bikes have low gears, which will help if you are riding in Sheffield after a 30 year break!

You could then swap the wheels back if you wanted to go off-road with it. As AO says though, a hybrid might be best - stronger (and heavier) than a road bike, weaker (and lighter) than a mountain bike, but good enough on road and on cycle paths and so on for you to enjoy it.

Thanks for that. Not sure I want to peddle and get nowhere - I've an exercise bike for that! I've seen a couple of bikes I like and they are both road bikes, but just wondered how they were for comfort, especially on the back. I'm not going to be racing around like a mad woman on it, just nice leisure rides along some of the off road paths :o)

Definitely sounds like a hybrid could be the one you want. As long as you are not planning some seriously rocky and uneven tracks, you should be ok. Where you purchasing said bike from?

Your best bet is to have a scout round some of the cycling specific forums, there is a wealth of information on there. There are no end of threads regarding which bike to buy, or trails, or commuter skills. I'd look at:

road.cc

cyclechat

bikeradar

A good all rounder may be a crossbike. It looks a bit like a racer, as in it has drop bars (which allow for a large number of hand positions). However, the ride is a bit more relaxed, and there tends to be better clearances for things like mudguards and racks. The tyres tend to be thicker than racers, but tyres are a personal choice and you can put your choice of widths on. (To a point).

The cross bike will handle trails. It's obviously not designed to be chucked down mountains though. A mountain bike with knobbly tyres and suspension will be heavy and hard work on the road.

Have fun...:)

My advice is:

If you wanted to be treated with respect on the road, follow the same rules as other road users.

Don't cut people up, don't run red lights.

Bcause of course most cyclist want to be treated with the same respect when they use the roads, but don't feel they need to adhere to the same rules of the road as drivers.

Don't go on red, don't cut people up. That's all most drivers ask.

And if you don't adhere to these simple rules, don't complain when you get mowed down.

Archived