Taking up cycling - advice needed please

I've decided to give the car a break and take up cycling. It's been some years (30 to be precise!) and my body is not like it used to be so I'm looking for something comfortable on the old bones! Has anyone got advice on whether I should go for a road bike or a mountain type bike as I understand that most road bikes don't have suspension (excuse my ignorance if this is incorrect or irrelevant) and I was wondering if a bike with suspension would be better on my back, should I accidentally run into a pothole or something! (well, there's a lot of them about!!).

I will probably be using it on some of the off road cycle paths to begin with before I venture onto roads, to build up my confidence a bit, but any advice what type of bike/accessories I will need would be most helpful.

Also, how do you measure up the right height for the seat/handle bars etc to avoid back issues? I've been told a straight leg from saddle to lower pedal is the right height - is this correct?

Many thanks.

Milly

I wouldnt get anything with suspension, for what I imagine you want to pay it will be rubbish, and in any case its not needed on the road. Just a waste of your pedal power and extra weight.

Get a hybrid, and choose the frame size to make sure you are happy with the reach from saddle to handlebars. Its easy to raise or lower the saddle, but to change the reach is more involved and more expensive. For saddle height, a slight bend in your knee when you are sat in the saddle with the pedal at the bottom of its stroke is a decent starting point.

Above all, enjoy it, dont be afraid of hills, just take em at your own pace and stick with it :)

My advice is:

If you wanted to be treated with respect on the road, follow the same rules as other road users.

Don't cut people up, don't run red lights.

Bcause of course most cyclist want to be treated with the same respect when they use the roads, but don't feel they need to adhere to the same rules of the road as drivers.

Don't go on red, don't cut people up. That's all most drivers ask.

And if you don't adhere to these simple rules, don't complain when you get mowed down.

I doubt "most" cyclists cut cars up or run red lights. Certainly a minority do, I dont, ever.

My advice is:

If you wanted to be treated with respect on the road, follow the same rules as other road users.

Don't cut people up, don't run red lights.

Bcause of course most cyclist want to be treated with the same respect when they use the roads, but don't feel they need to adhere to the same rules of the road as drivers.

Don't go on red, don't cut people up. That's all most drivers ask.

And if you don't adhere to these simple rules, don't complain when you get mowed down.

Could I request that motorists do the same then, please? :rolleyes:

Regards the bike - I'd go for a hybrid. They're tough enough to take the smoother off-road tracks (like the many multipurpose trails hereabouts such as Transpennine/Tissington etc) but will be faster on the road and an easier ride.

I've got a Specialized Sirrus, it's been fantastic! I even did a bit of proper off-roading on it yesterday (due to minor technical issues with navigation :)) - it's built to last.

Once you get into it a bit more you might want to look at other bikes as well, but a hybrid is a good start.

Mountain bikes are rubbish on the road, unless you like pedaling lots and not getting far. I would recommend a hybrid if you wish to use it for both. I would certainly suggest going to a bike shop and having a chat with someone before finally making a purchase :)

I would absolutely second that, it was just what I was going to advise. I have had all three bike types, road, mountain and hybrid, and my hybrid wins hands down. My advice, go to J E James and have a look at the hybrids. I have a Trek 7.2, brilliant bike.

I also took up cycling last year after 30 years.Now I go at least twice a week.Take your bike to Hassop Station and do the Monsal Trail.It's 20 miles there and back past some fantastic scenery.Obviously you won't manage that distance the first time but you'll get used to it and there isn't a car in sight.The only problem is that you might seize up before you get home to have a shower...

Another tip about riding the trails - if you do Tissington, start in Ashbourne.

There's a very slight gradient on the trail "uphill" from south to north. It's barely noticeable, but means that you can coast a bit going north to south, but you have to pedal all the time going the other way.

If you start at the top (Parsley Hay or Hartington), it's easy to get carried away with distance, and get very tired on the way back!! I went with a friend who hadn't cycled for years (and was very unfit) and he really struggled.

Of course once you get into it you won't notice it at all - I didn't :D

Just one question folks, my hubby's been given a mountain bike, it's in good nick. The problem is, he's used it once on holiday (Lincolnshire) where it's very flat, but 2 days later he had a lot of lower back muscle pain, he'd also done a bit of sea fishing, casting off and such.

Any cyclist/ fishermen have an idea as to which could have caused the pain..:)

No silly answers please, just need a bit of sensible advice..:)

Just one question folks, my hubby's been given a mountain bike, it's in good nick. The problem is, he's used it once on holiday (Lincolnshire) where it's very flat, but 2 days later he had a lot of lower back muscle pain, he'd also done a bit of sea fishing, casting off and such.

Any cyclist/ fishermen have an idea as to which could have caused the pain..:)

No silly answers please, just need a bit of sensible advice..:)

It doesn't sound like the bike to me, perhaps he's just overworked his back fishing a bit. It shouldn't be too much to worry about, but if the pain continues beyond a week it would be best to see a doc.

Archived