English civil war (the riots of 2011)

Just watching the documentary on BBC2 about the riots. The documentary itself seems very much slanted in favour of the police; still, I can't help but feel the level of force used against the rioters was inappropriately low.

I guess the police are in a very precarious situation; concern over their own safety, and also concern over recriminations (from the media and politicians etc) if they overstepped the mark.

Were the police in a no-win situation? Could they have done things differently? Better? Should the whole event have been treat as civil war? How about the use of plastic bullets, water cannon? Should the armed forces have been deployed?

Or was it better to just contain and try to defuse the situation?

Should the whole event have been treat as civil war?

A civil war? I think 5 people got killed - 1 in Tottenham, 1 in Ealing and 3 in Birmingham. Altogether a few thousand took part out of a total population of over 60 million. And you ask if it was a civil war? If the Isle of Man had had a civil war there'd have been more people invovled and more deaths.

Next time, the police need to come out with guns blazing.

My inner-nazi was thinking the same; break out the machine guns! I couldn't help but feel the police were being way too soft. But what would have been the effect of a more heavy handed response?

My inner-nazi was thinking the same; break out the machine guns! I couldn't help but feel the police were being way too soft. But what would have been the effect of a more heavy handed response?

They would have arrested more people, more property and businesses would have been saved. They went in hard and it stopped. It was opportunistic rioting at its most acute. No message just a free for all.

Archived