Take social housing away from rich areas

Maybe, maybe not. Do you think we should interfere with the free market as if it were the 70's? I don't.

Logically if benefits are capped it provides a disincentive for landlords to charge sky high rents knowing the daft council will always pay.

It will also stop trash families being sent to good areas where rents are high e.g. Muswell Hill in North London currently has a notorious family of Irish 'travellers' wrecking a house on an otherwise pleasant street. Another street where a friend of mine lives also has a scum family leaving dog dirt and oil stains outside their formerly good house that is now dilapidated in appearance. Courtesy of Haringey council, wasters who don't up their game to match their environment and a landlord who for now can stick them into his expensive house.

welcome to the ghettos :hihi::hihi::hihi:

When London councils force people to move around the country for accomodation, do you think it will stop these greedy landlords from moving in and making a vast profit to push up the rents in these areas as well?

http://www.andyworthington.co.uk/2012/05/17/rents-out-of-control-how-londoner-are-being-fleeced-by-greedy-landlords/

Greedy landlords to move into properties vacated in London?I suppose competition for houses will push up rents?

Do you have a list of people to hate hanging up in the kitchen?:)

I suspect you are being xenophobic.

Do not tell me what you know I am thinking, it comes across as most patronising.

I was responding to Post 207, the person who brought up the subject of the Poles. Any country that is a member of the EU is entitled to UK benefits just as UK citizens are entitled to benefits from other EU countries if they lived or worked there.

Do not tell me what you know I am thinking, it comes across as most patronising.

I was responding to Post 207, the person who brought up the subject of the Poles. Any country that is a member of the EU is entitled to UK benefits just as UK citizens are entitled to benefits from other EU countries if they lived or worked there.

I cannot see how the Poles are relevent here. Its just too cold to build there, and to be fair there isnt many shops.

If the Poles over here have children back home in Poland, they are entitled to child benefit.
It's means tested though, and not anywhere near as much or so I was told by some Polish builders, which is why they prefer our system. They don't even have to have the children living over here to get it.

They thought we are very generous. I have to agree. Although nothing to do with the topic.

I don't think moving people around the country to areas of cheaper housing is a long term solution for local councils. Most people will just move back as soon as they get the chance.

It's means tested though, and not anywhere near as much or so I was told by some Polish builders, which is why they prefer our system. They don't even have to have the children living over here to get it.

They thought we are very generous. I have to agree. Although nothing to do with the topic.

I don't think moving people around the country to areas of cheaper housing is a long term solution for local councils. Most people will just move back as soon as they get the chance.

there are some pretty high value council properties throughout the country, which could be sold to build or revamp others. if this plan is rolled out, it could be quite good, if its done properly and sympathetically.

there are some pretty high value council properties throughout the country, which could be sold to build or revamp others. if this plan is rolled out, it could be quite good, if its done properly and sympathetically.
I agree with the proposal, and also agree with people being induced, not forced, to move out of properties which are too big for them.

I don't agree with people being forcibly shunted all over the country, it doesn't sit well with me, and probably doesn't really work. I also don't agree with the practice of forcing developers to provide a percentage of social housing on sites. It's been a failure almost everywhere it's been done for reasons which have been provided on other posts on this thread.

It is difficult to work out how best to provide social housing for needy people. It should never really have been seen as a long term solution as it has been since inception. Now some people view it as a right to have cheap housing provided for them for life, the same way they view benefits.

If I couldn't afford to buy my house, I think I'd rather be under the cosh of a private landlord, than the cosh of a Labour council housing department, or their stooges, the HAs, on one of their estates. :)

Only problem is no government can ever run things unless it quadruples in budget. Odd that! No wonder the country's finances are in the state they're in.

Most politicians have never had a real job so how would they know how to run anything?

I think you are mixing up two entirely separate issues.

Unemployed family in council house, kids move out, family no longer needs a big house so they should be moved to a smaller house anywhere the council deem suitable.

Unemployed family in council house, kids want their own free council house, they shouldn’t get one because there is enough room in house they already live in.

Unemployed family in council house, parents kick kids out and make them homeless, family no longer needs big house so should be moved anywhere the council deem suitable.; kids should be housed anywhere the council deem suitable.

The same goes for people who bought their houses doesn't it or are you saying they homeowners don't live in properties which are too big for them?

Archived