Take social housing away from rich areas

Why should Droitwich have to suffer? :huh:

Maybe every town should have an area where all these people could be housed together, there'd be no-one to complain about them and they could do as they liked. A van could deliver essentials every week and they need never leave the place. Would that suffice to make you happy?

Or would it be better to provide counselling, life coaches, parenting classes, rehab? I personally think that they aren't happy, no-one really wants to live in squalor, but sometimes life just doesn't work out for people and they need help to turn themselves around. That's got to better for all of us, surely?

Good question, remember Blackadder II episode 1? "your mother is alive and well and living in Droitwich!"

My dad was a trucker who'd been everywhere and laughed while asking why anyone would want to live there. It just came to mind.

I agree with your second paragraph and to my knowledge its already happening. I do find it a bit pathetic that some people have to have an expensive nanny state visiting them to teach them to do basic things that the human race has been doing for millions of years without tuition.

Having been in the public sector in the past and seen social services and the family courts close up I feel that such a route is an endless money pit for ungrateful people. As far as I'm concerned the threshold for social services to take kids into care should be lower since kids grow up rotten because of handwringing, that case a few years back of those brothers from Doncaster or wherever who nearly killed a kid. The local state had watched them and done nothing.

However the main topic is about councils having to redistribute people due to caps on housing benefit. Most of the squeezed middle no doubt consider it fair while extremists consider it to be like something from the former Yugoslavia.

When you say themselves, you mean using the money to pay for other things apart from housing. I don't think they shared it out between the members of the conservative party. ;)
and do you know that they didnt :hihi::hihi::hihi: anway back on topic the tories sold the houses off and and didnt reinvest in the housing stock so im right (again):hihi::hihi::hihi:

More money to pay for other things apart from housing? If people thought you had spare cash laying about, someone somewhere will be thinking up new ideas to take it from you ... aint no mistaking it gov!

More money to pay for other things apart from housing? If people thought you had spare cash laying about, someone somewhere will be thinking up new ideas to take it from you ... aint no mistaking it gov!

We don't have a Labour Govt with their unceasing stealth taxes any more though so that's hardly a worry..

and do you know that they didnt :hihi::hihi::hihi: anway back on topic the tories sold the houses off and and didnt reinvest in the housing stock so im right (again):hihi::hihi::hihi:

Of course you are right, no one has disputed that the Right to buy was instigated by the Tories. However I, like many of my housing worker colleagues, never ceased to wonder why Labour didn't revoke the act. ;)

People really need to understand how social housing has changed over the last couple of generations. I used to meet people of my age and older in my job as a housing worker. I was regularly asked why they got an influx of 'bad' tenants on their estate. Lots of older people had moved into council housing when it was a step up from the slums which many private rented homes were, and they remembered the hoops they had to jump through to get one. But that was in the days when councils made their own rules about who got housing, and tended to favour people who were in work, married, and 'respectable'.

There was no sudden conspiracy over the last 20 years to move people who didn't know how to co-exist peaceably into 'good' areas. The truth is that government legislation since the 1980s (along with increased home ownership in the private sector) has meant a far higher concentration of poverty, worklessness and anti-social behaviour within the social housing sector.

There are schemes to support tenants who create issues on estates. These are costly to run but don't necessarily succeed. Here's an example: http://www.actionforchildren.org.uk/our-services/family-support/targeted-intervention/family-intervention-projects

I'd also suggest that anyone who is unfamiliar with life on social housing estates nowadays should watch the BBC's 'Neighbourhood Watched'. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m25tl

We don't have a Labour Govt with their unceasing stealth taxes any more though so that's hardly a worry..

That's right, we have a tory government with blatant taxes, e.g. granny tax, pasty tax, 20% VAT etc, which is not exactly creeping up on you but so much as giving people a full-on smack in the gob.

That's right, we have a tory government with blatant taxes, e.g. granny tax, pasty tax, 20% VAT etc, which is not exactly creeping up on you but so much as giving people a full-on smack in the gob.

So let me get this right - you wanted tax loopholes closing and now complain when they are closed and come home to roost?

Oh the irony...

Archived