Take social housing away from rich areas

I think this is what the idea is meant to address.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/neilobrien1/100177328/no-one-has-a-right-to-live-in-kensington-at-taxpayers-expense-its-time-to-start-recycling-social-housing/

You may have recently read about Nasir Muhsen, an 18-year-old gang member, who was jailed for his part in the riots last year. He was part of a 15-strong gang who, armed with bats and knives, carried out a mass mugging of people in a restaurant. His case made the headlines because he and his family had been given a £6,000-a-month basement flat worth £3 million in a Victorian mansion block in Kensington. Residents described his family as “neighbours from hell”, who reportedly trashed their home and were evicted at Christmas for not paying their subsidised rent. Despite this, his lawyer claimed that he had taken part because he was poor and “the money he took was to buy food.”

Well a blog is a personal opinion and when he goes on to mention subsidised rent, it's clear where he's heading with his waffle. To be fair, I'd expect no less from the Daily Torygraph anyway.

Well a blog is a personal opinion and when he goes on to mention subsidised rent, it's clear where he's heading with his waffle. To be fair, I'd expect no less from the Daily Torygraph anyway.

Best quote the London Evening Standard in that case.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/hell-for-neighbours-of-rioter-in-3m-flat-8026340.html

A Teenager in a 15-strong gang who looted shops and robbed diners at The Ledbury restaurant in Notting Hill during last year’s riots was a “neighbour from hell” at his £3 million taxpayer-funded flat, it was claimed today.

Nasir Muhsen, 18, jailed for six and a half years at Inner London crown court yesterday, was housed by Kensington and Chelsea council with his mother and brothers in a block near Earls Court after they fled Iraq.

A lawyer who lives in the block said: “They treated the place like a rubbish dump. They were the neighbours from hell.”

It was the OP who first used the word.....
Can't Rupert_Baehr answer for himself? He made the post:-Quote:] Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr Aren't ordinary house owners (those who buy their own houses) 'ghettoised'?.

I've bought my house, therefore I'd like to know how Rupert_Baehr claims where I live has become 'ghettoised'? So I'd like his definition of 'Ghettoised'.

It would make more sense to outlaw buy to let. But allow for build to let.

Hardly any of these desirable properties will be sold, people will wait for 5 years to get the 70% discount, then RTB. Then wait a further 5 year to sell.

If properties are selling for such values, the council should build social housing to Parker Morris standards in the area for sale and rent. The sales would generate vast profits, as they could have land costs of 0.

The entire point of the proposal is to sell of the most valuable in order to build more cheaper housing.

As long as they are not build in a different area, then the amount of housing available in that area goes up.

But that is exactly what they do propose to do, hence the use of the word ghetto. Council houses in wealthy areas will be sold off and the money used to build houses in cheaper areas. The council would never be able to afford to build property in these same wealthy areas. When social housing was first introduced, the mixture of different social classes living together was to purposely allow such integration.

Does anyone remember the Shirley Porter Homes for votes scandal?

But that is exactly what they do propose to do, hence the use of the word ghetto. Council houses in wealthy areas will be sold off and the money used to build houses in cheaper areas. The council would never be able to afford to build property in these same wealthy areas. When social housing was first introduced, the mixture of different social classes living together was to purposely allow such integration.

Does anyone remember the Shirley Porter Homes for votes scandal?

Aye, and Shirley Porter daughter of Tesco owner, also owned vast chunks of idle land n Scotland claiming CAP subsidies, registered via a company in a tax haven. So the income taxes we send to the EU and landowners get back in CAP payments (agricultural subsidy), were going offshore, and to somebody who wasn't producing any food. Merely getting paid for being a landowner, when men can't rent allotments or build housing.

Archived