Take social housing away from rich areas

But that is exactly what they do propose to do, hence the use of the word ghetto. Council houses in wealthy areas will be sold off and the money used to build houses in cheaper areas. The council would never be able to afford to build property in these same wealthy areas. When social housing was first introduced, the mixture of different social classes living together was to purposely allow such integration.

Does anyone remember the Shirley Porter Homes for votes scandal?

They would just create new areas, surely. I mean, develop brownfield sites and areas where housing has been pulled down. There are many areas in Sheffield that could fit the bill.

Aye, and Shirley Porter daughter of Tesco owner, also owned vast chunks of idle land n Scotland claiming CAP subsidies, registered via a company in a tax haven. So the income taxes we send to the EU and landowners get back in CAP payments (agricultural subsidy), were going offshore, and to somebody who wasn't producing any food. Merely getting paid for being a landowner, when men can't rent allotments or build housing.

I was going to buy to let, but now I might just buy some land and claim. Thanks for the head up :)

They would just create new areas, surely. I mean, develop brownfield sites and areas where housing has been pulled down. There are many areas in Sheffield that could fit the bill.

The problem with brown field sites is that it takes a minimum of three years to decontaminate them. The cost of this alone is extortionate which is why developers aren't interested in these sites.

But that is exactly what they do propose to do, hence the use of the word ghetto. Council houses in wealthy areas will be sold off and the money used to build houses in cheaper areas. The council would never be able to afford to build property in these same wealthy areas. When social housing was first introduced, the mixture of different social classes living together was to purposely allow such integration.

Does anyone remember the Shirley Porter Homes for votes scandal?

But do the council and non council dwellers mix anyway ? Kids might but unlikely the parents will. I can't imagine a partner at a law firm asking johnny sixkids round for a pint can you ? You can't just put a load of people together and hope they get on just because they live near each other. Private housing levels it a bit more - you are generally earn a similar wage to live where you do.

Besides, aren't we talking realitivly small amounts of council housing in nicer areas ? Is the figure high enough to get worried about ?

The problem with brown field sites is that it takes a minimum of three years to decontaminate them. The cost of this alone is extortionate which is why developers aren't interested in these sites.

A brownfield site could be one that had housing on before..doesn't have to have been industrial..

But do the council and non council dwellers mix anyway ? Kids might but unlikely the parents will. I can't imagine a partner at a law firm asking johnny sixkids round for a pint can you ? You can't just put a load of people together and hope they get on just because they live near each other. Private housing levels it a bit more - you are generally earn a similar wage to live where you do.

Besides, aren't we talking realitivly small amounts of council housing in nicer areas ? Is the figure high enough to get worried about ?

But when council housing was first built, local schools comprised of a mix of children from different classes. Children at least therefore got the opportunity to mix with each other.

But when council housing was first built, local schools comprised of a mix of children from different classes. Children at least therefore got the opportunity to mix with each other.

That's also when the vast majority of council tennants worked. That isn't the case now, not by a long chalk (I read an article on the bbc site, I'll see if I can find it - had some interesting figures).

Besides, did it work back then ? School kids were already divvied up with grammar schools etc werent they ?

Archived