Take social housing away from rich areas

The real definition of brownfield sites is under used industrial and commercial sites.

Depends whose definition you use I suppose

"What is a brownfield site?

A brownfield site is any land, which has previously been used for any purpose and is no longer in use for that purpose.

A site does not have to be contaminated, although contaminated land will automatically be brownfield"

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/brownfieldsites

The problem with brown field sites is that it takes a minimum of three years to decontaminate them. The cost of this alone is extortionate which is why developers aren't interested in these sites.

Not all such sites require this-urban gardens are considered brownfield.

But do the council and non council dwellers mix anyway ? Kids might but unlikely the parents will. I can't imagine a partner at a law firm asking johnny sixkids round for a pint can you ? You can't just put a load of people together and hope they get on just because they live near each other. Private housing levels it a bit more - you are generally earn a similar wage to live where you do.

Besides, aren't we talking realitivly small amounts of council housing in nicer areas ? Is the figure high enough to get worried about ?

Which is why I suggested that many private buyers are 'ghettoised'. Most private buyers have finite means. The house they buy may well be dictated (in part) by the size of house they need, but the area in which they buy is also likely to be dictated by the comparative prices in the areas they are looking at.

If you need a 3-bedroom house, then there's probably plenty of choice, but if you need a 3-bedroom house and you have an upper price limit of (say) £150,000 there's not a lot of point in looking at areas where the prices of 3-bedroom houses start at £200,000.

But do the council and non council dwellers mix anyway ? Kids might but unlikely the parents will. I can't imagine a partner at a law firm asking johnny sixkids round for a pint can you ? You can't just put a load of people together and hope they get on just because they live near each other. Private housing levels it a bit more - you are generally earn a similar wage to live where you do.

Besides, aren't we talking realitivly small amounts of council housing in nicer areas ? Is the figure high enough to get worried about ?

I think you are overdoing the cliches-I know several lawyers with large families,and also some poorer couples with no children.

Which is why I suggested that many private buyers are 'ghettoised'. Most private buyers have finite means. The house they buy may well be dictated (in part) by the size of house they need, but the area in which they buy is also likely to be dictated by the comparative prices in the areas they are looking at.

If you need a 3-bedroom house, then there's probably plenty of choice, but if you need a 3-bedroom house and you have an upper price limit of (say) £150,000 there's not a lot of point in looking at areas where the prices of 3-bedroom houses start at £200,000.

Yet, just to completely contradict myself you could take some villages with council and non council who get on fine. That said, I think most council housing in nicer villages was sold off before you could say location location location.

I think you are overdoing the cliches-I know several lawyers with large families,and also some poorer couples with no children.

Do they mix socially ? I'm not saying it doesn't happen but there needs to be a common interest, often kids but there needs to be something. In your case it could be you !!!!!

Do they mix socially ? I'm not saying it doesn't happen but there needs to be a common interest, often kids but there needs to be something. In your case it could be you !!!!!

By mixing people,the professionals such as your lawyer will ensure local amenities are of a high standard,benefiting rich and poor alike.Once the classes separate there is no longer mutuality of interest,to the detriment of the less articulate,less influential and the poorer socio-economic groups.

By mixing people,the professionals such as your lawyer will ensure local amenities are of a high standard,benefiting rich and poor alike.Once the classes separate there is no longer mutuality of interest,to the detriment of the less articulate,less influential and the poorer socio-economic groups.

Bit unfair towards the middle of the road homeowners..can't afford the higher house prices in a "better" area and no chance of getting a council house there...

Archived