Job Club Evasion Tactics

Well yeah I have experience in Basic, Visual Basic, Pascal, Delphi, C, C++, Smalltalk and probably some other languages that I've forgot about but as I taught myself with books the only relevant qualification I have is a Computer Studies A Level. Obviously if I applied for a programming job it wouldn't look that great on paper even though I know I could do the job, well. Good job I have no intention of applying for one then isn't it :)

Jamie- You can sit the exams without taking the course. Sit all the programming exams and you'll have the qualification! You already have the knowledge, all you need is the bit of paper that proves it.

That's what I'm doing at the moment, filling my head with all the MCP stuff and I'll just sit the exams when I'm ready.

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Jamie,

You could consider a man's life in Her Majesty's Corp of IT Contractors...:-)

Seriously, if you've got games standard C++ development skills then you'd have no problems getting your CV in front of a few clients via agencies. I currently contract through Spring as a VB developer and have been with HBOS in Leeds for about 3 years now.

I've contracted and freelanced in VB / SQL / Web Development and such for about 15 years and it's a nice compromise between a regular pay packet and time for your own stuff. At teh moment I do a 4 day week and spend the 5th day on my own projects. You might consider doing a three or 6 month contract and then take time out for your own projects. Not perfect but very workable.

You don't even have to have your own limited company - you can operate through umbrella companies who'll deal with invoicing and such for you and then pay you and handle your tax.

Hope this helps,

Joe

With regard to examinations, I think my experience has helped me avoid having to show any paper qualifications. After all, I was doing this stuff only shortly after Bill and IBM got the PC out....:-)

Examination qualifications such as the Microsoft things are great if you can afford them and if you're in a situation where you have two equally balanced candidates, where the paper qualification will carry you through. HOWEVER, bear in mind that you may have to re-sit them every now and again to keep them current - many VB developers I know will be resitting their Microsoft exams when .NET came along to stay current.

Before spending money on these, get your CV sorted out and float it to some agencies, and then let tehm do the legwork.

Joe

Originally posted by JoePritchard

Hiya Jamie,

Seriously, if you've got games standard C++ development skills then you'd have no problems getting your CV in front of a few clients via agencies. I currently contract through Spring as a VB developer and have been with HBOS in Leeds for about 3 years now.

I've contracted and freelanced in VB / SQL / Web Development and such for about 15 years and it's a nice compromise between a regular pay packet and time for your own stuff. At teh moment I do a 4 day week and spend the 5th day on my own projects. You might consider doing a three or 6 month contract and then take time out for your own projects. Not perfect but very workable.

You don't even have to have your own limited company - you can operate through umbrella companies who'll deal with invoicing and such for you and then pay you and handle your tax.

Hope this helps,

Joe

That sounds great Joe ... I'll send you a PM asking for more info :-)

Although ... things have gotten a lot better for me ... I've just got a contract to do a project on Gameboy Advance.

Plus ... I really want to push my own gameboy advance game projects !! ...

I know you Joe, our path crossed @ one of the HBOS building in Leeds about 3 months ago. (The old Leeds permanet HQ one).

I don't think you reconised me despite being about arm length away.

I leave now to let you rattle your brains and figure out who I might be.

Could you post some links, or let me know where I can look for info on this type of thing please?

Cheers

Hi John,

Sorry!! No 'blanking' intended. To be frank I could meet my own mother in Lovell Park Road and not recognise her some days!

Yes, I've been at the old Leeds Perm site for almost 3 years now. I started with Anti-Money Laundering Compliance and now do Point of Sale systems design and development up on the 4th floor.

Now...I've met two or three people that I've previously known whilst being at HBOS, so...I wonder, who could you be?

Anyway...I'm in the HBOS internal E-Mail address book....so drop me a line!

Joe

why not try logging on to

http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/cms.asp?Page=/Home

scan through the numerous dead end jobs theyve got on there,then ring them to enquire about one.

Each time you do this its logged against your national insurance number, so,when you go to sign on,they have a record that you have been actively seeking work.

i know this is sneaky but like other people with skills,i dont want to end up in the first pidgeon hole they put you in to keep the figures down. its true what you say jamie, they dont give a toss what you want,its what THEY want

Archived