#SosDairy or RIP Dairy ?

We went down to London with 1/4 of the country's Dairy Farmers to the #SosDairy, the MP's seem to be chasing a voluntary code of conduct where the supermarkets will choose to pay dairy farmers more so the farmers aren't producing milk for free.

It costs dairy farmers 30p to produce 1 Liter of milk.

Wairtose pay 31p

M&S Pay 33p

Everyone else pays less than it actually costs the farmers to produce the milk.

Would YOU actually make the effort to only buy from those who pay over 30p ?

We already import over 1 Million Liters of milk in each day, shouldn't we just import it all if it means we can keep it cheaper than bottled water ?

We went down to London with 1/4 of the country's Dairy Farmers to the #SosDairy, the MP's seem to be chasing a voluntary code of conduct where the supermarkets will choose to pay dairy farmers more so the farmers aren't producing milk for free.

Wairtose pay 31p

M&S Pay 33p

We already import over 1 Million Liters of milk in each day, shouldn't we just import it all if it means we can keep it cheaper than bottled water ?

Given the above then why do farmers still produce the milk

Most have to diversify in order to survive. It's not right or fair for supermarkets to hold farmers to ransom like this.

But they are not being held to ransom. They were saying exactly the same several years ago and so were the farmers union and yet they are now claiming the same. How come if they were predicted to go bankrupt then they never did?

I cant name any other industry that says its losing money and yet will carry on doing the same thing for several years. If they are genuinely losing money then they should be like other companies in the same situation and sell up. Maybe part of it is due to the fact that they have relied too heavily in the past on farm subsidies.

PS I shoud have put Dairy Farmers and not just farmers.

But they are not being held to ransom. They were saying exactly the same several years ago and so were the farmers union and yet they are now claiming the same. How come if they were predicted to go bankrupt then they never did?

I cant name any other industry that says its losing money and yet will carry on doing the same thing for several years. If they are genuinely losing money then they should be like other companies in the same situation and sell up. Maybe part of it is due to the fact that they have relied too heavily in the past on farm subsidies.

PS I shoud have put Dairy Farmers and not just farmers.

Of course they are being held to ransom. Supermarkets are using bullying tactics to force the farmer to sell milk at a lower rate. Where else are farmers going to sell their milk?

Sell up to who and do what? Who would want to buy a dairy farm that's losing money.

Of course they are being held to ransom. Supermarkets are using bullying tactics to force the farmer to sell milk at a lower rate.

But they are not, its the processors who have cut the price to the farmers as people no longer want high fat milks and cream and the value is at a low.

Sell up to who and do what? Who would want to buy a dairy farm that's losing money.

According to many poster on SF there are many jobs about they can do.;)

What I questions is are the losing money? In 2009 the dairy farmers got on average £32,000 in subsidies and now that is around £38,000. Last time they complained the subsidy was increased and that will probably happen again.

Maybe we should go back to the old Milk Marketing Board way where prices were guaranteed. The farmers would be happy but I doubt the consumer would as the cost of a pint will drastically increase.

Wairtose pay 31p

M&S Pay 33p

Yes I would make the effort - are there any more that are paying an acceptable level?

I make an effort to buy OurCowMolly milk, if I do have to buy from supermarket I try and buy from one's I know pay 30p + to farmers (not always successful but I try). Did I not hear a while back that Cameron was promoting 'Super' dairy farms where cattle were basically caged? If I am correct then what easier way of making this happen than bankrupting the current dairy farmers.

Archived