When do you have to notify the police of a road accident?

A car went into the back of me tonight. More damage to his car than mine. We exchanged name address phone no. etc and he said it was his fault. A witness stopped and gave his details.

I am aching like hell and my passenger is worse. The witness has since phoned me and said he felt the drive of the other car was going really fast an didn't attempt to stop. He also said I should phone the police.

I thought that as I had exchanged details, and since informed the insurance company, that was all I needed to do.

Any thoughts about whether I should have called the police?

if no one has been injured, you have exchanged details and there has been no damage to the road or street furniture which could cause problems for other road users then there is no real need to call the police.

given that you have moved the vehicles and any evidence on the road has been driven over by hundreds of other cars by now, it's hard to see what the police will do except tell you that you have no need to call them.

A car went into the back of me tonight. More damage to his car than mine. We exchanged name address phone no. etc and he said it was his fault. A witness stopped and gave his details.

I am aching like hell and my passenger is worse. The witness has since phoned me and said he felt the drive of the other car was going really fast an didn't attempt to stop. He also said I should phone the police.

I thought that as I had exchanged details, and since informed the insurance company, that was all I needed to do.

Any thoughts about whether I should have called the police?

Have your car checked, I couldn’t see the damage to mine when someone drove into the back, but because cars are designed with crumple zones to absorb the impact there was a couple of thousand pounds worth of damage that wasn’t visible.

if no one has been injured, you have exchanged details and there has been no damage to the road or street furniture which could cause problems for other road users then there is no real need to call the police.

given that you have moved the vehicles and any evidence on the road has been driven over by hundreds of other cars by now, it's hard to see what the police will do except tell you that you have no need to call them.

That's not strictly correct. If you don't report an accident and the other driver does, the police have his version of events on record. A month or two down the line it can be rather difficult if the guilty driver puts a claim in against you and claims for a injury.

Archived