Schweizer family 1970's

I remember Mr Eric Schweizer & also his brother Mr. Denis Schweizer. They used to own Bradford Woollen Company on West Bar & I used to work for them.

I bought my first genuine sheepskin jacket from Bradford Woollen in the sixtees'

It cost about 30+ pounds...I had it until it was stolen in a burglary in South Africa(Cape Town)...1995...never seen it since...Great jacket..I never replaced it.

I worked at a car dealers on Shalesmoor...

Hi Slotter

Your dad's name is very familiar but I can't quite put a face to it. Was he a rep in the carpet dept:? I am sure he worked there when I did which would have been around 1965. It was a good place to work & many people were very good friends with each other both inside & outside work. I am still in contact with one other girl who worked there & we are both in our 60's now.

We were teens when we worked there.

Hi PJKAY

I also bought a leather jacket from BW, naturally we used to get a staff discount. I paid twenty six pounds for my full length maroon leather jacket in 1965 which back then was a fortune. But it was really a beautiful jacket. I gave it to a girlfriend when she emigrated to Canada about 8 years later. Often wished I hadn't as even though I live in Brisbane Australia, I lived in Melbourne for a few months & could have used it then.

West Bar & Shalesmoor areas back then were busy industrial areas .

You will be telling me next that you used to knock off work Saturday morning & drink in the Stonehouse like we girls used to from BW's haha.

Hi Janet

Dad was out on the road selling most things for the store,he had a mate called Con they played snooker in pub next door,remember a company party there early 60's,

Dad did some driving jobs for swycher brother who lived sandygate rd. using his posh cars.

Just for the record, the surname of the family who owned Bradford Wollen is spelled Swycher, not Schweizer (see here for a few details of Eric Swycher's directorships). Eric died aged 73 in London in 1999; Dennis and Sheila Swycher live at Fulwood. There's an old thread about Bradford Woollen here.

The Schweitzers had a furniture business in the Wicker.

Archived