Schweizer family 1970's

Hi Bullerboy

My surname when I worked at BW was Dyson but as I said I was only about 16 or 17. Do try & persuade Harry to use a mobility scooter it will give him some independance & help socially as well. He did used to tell jokes back then even. Just remembered John(Tempest) correct name Greaves, of course I understand John died some years ago. Also remembered the nice couple's names John & Sandra. Did Slvia work as a cashier there? the name does seem familiar. Lots of other people I remember. Winn Biggin, Mona Pengally Audrey Ryder Heather? Cindy. Office people Mr. Ray Turner, Mr Hartley. Beryl Gent Chris Wilkinson. See how many of them Harry can remember.

My first job when I left school in 1974 was working in the Reception of Bradford Woollen Company. I was 16. I also worked in the cash office but moved back down to reception and worked with Eric who was the switchboard operator.

I liked Mr MacHattie and he was really kind to me when I had a threatened miscarriage.

Mr Dennis and Mr Eric were also really good employers, in fact I think the best employers I ever had.

My first job when I left school in 1974 was working in the Reception of Bradford Woollen Company. I was 16. I also worked in the cash office but moved back down to reception and worked with Eric who was the switchboard operator.

I liked Mr MacHattie and he was really kind to me when I had a threatened miscarriage.

Mr Dennis and Mr Eric were also really good employers, in fact I think the best employers I ever had.

Would that be Eric who was blind?

hi Curriechick,you must have strarted there not long after I left. Eric joined BW while I was still there. The switchboard used to be locate in the front office where reception was but when Eric joined BW they moved the switch into the back office. Eric was a lovely guy & we have spoken about him on here previously.

Yes Bullerboy Eric was blind.

I have to agree with you Curriechick BW was one of my best ever jobs.

hi Curriechick,you must have strarted there not long after I left. Eric joined BW while I was still there. The switchboard used to be locate in the front office where reception was but when Eric joined BW they moved the switch into the back office. Eric was a lovely guy & we have spoken about him on here previously.

Yes Bullerboy Eric was blind.

I have to agree with you Curriechick BW was one of my best ever jobs.

Eric and his wife pat who was also visually impaired were my wifes best friends and we went out with then quite often,sadly Eric sanderson died a few tears ago but Pat is still alive,my wife worked with her manymany years at Lombard North Central in Rotherham. Its a small world.

When I worked there the switchboard was in the front office with reception. Eric (yes he was blind) worked the switchboard and I did reception.

At lunch time I used to take Eric out for lunch, before I started he had his lunch in the staff room, but Mr MacHattie arranged for Diane to cover reception for an hour so that I could take him out. Because he didn't know Sheffield well enough to get about on his own. We had some good laughs and I remember one of his favourite places to go for lunch was a cafe above Horne's Menswear at the corner of Castle House. He used to have tomatoes on toast which I had never tried before but they are now one of my favourite snacks and I can't help but think of Eric when I have them. He was a great friend to me and a true gentle man.

I only met Pat his wife once at a Christmas dinner dance and she was lovely. They were a very devoted couple.

Archived