What an utter insult to our paralympians .

How come the winners of the general Olympics are given a gold post box painted local to each winner, the cauldrons and torches they have carried have all been gold in colour and each winning gold medallist has had their own individual stamp issued for each person.

The Paralympians however do not get a gold post box, the cauldrons and torches they have used have been silver in colour indicating second best, and for each gold medallist they do not get their individual stamps like able bodied athletes have but in fact have to grouped with other Paralympians on a shared stamp.

It is clearly a case of second fiddle and second class citizens and they are definitely not classed as equal as able bodied athletes and their silver coloured status clearly indicates token gestures.

Also, why has there been a separate staging of Olympics with Paralympics having their own ceremony and logos, is it not more logical and better source of inclusion to have the Paralympics merged with the other Olympics so that everyone is classed as equal and not as some secondary freak show that nobody wants to be seen with and given equal exposure, it all smells of very bad human rights to me.

one thing about the paraolympics i dont get is......

able bodied people, fair enough, their on a level playing field... no-one competeing is conciderd disabled in any way.

but disabled people are and can be disabled in many different ways, some from birth, some in accidents and wars. how can they fairly compete agaignst each other? surly the least disabled person in each race/heat would win?

to put it another way....... a motor race, you go around the pit straight damaging/disabling their cars. its pretty obvious that if you remove a wiper and a brake light from one car.... but then remove two wheels and a driveshaft off another..... one is far more likley to win than the other!!

i had to smile at the london marathon tbh. the "disabled" competitors in those high speed light weight wheel chairs?.... i mean come on, a road race and theyve got wheels under them? surly under those circumstances they are "enabled"?????

If I were disabled I'm pretty sure I'd still think the paralympic games were silly.

Do you genuinely think that now?

A competition for disabled athletes is silly?

I wouldn't join the camp that are forcing people to respect the paralympics, but I am solidly of the opinion that the Paralympics is a wonderful thing. The will power it must take to learn to walk again after losing a limb, never mind thinking "wonder if I can race other people".

Equally, Channel4 have disturbed me with the "Meet The Superhumans" theme of their advert. It makes the athletes look like something out of X-Men. A group of people with special powers that include a chair with wheels, dwarfism, and a carbon fibre foot. Silly advert.

how can they fairly compete agaignst each other? surly the least disabled person in each race/heat would win?

The severity of disability is graded, and in some cases handicapped. Blind people don't race with one legged people, for example.

Football is an example of handicaping a skill. They all wear blindfolds so the partially sighted don't have an advantage.

How come the winners of the general Olympics are given a gold post box painted local to each winner, the cauldrons and torches they have carried have all been gold in colour and each winning gold medallist has had their own individual stamp issued for each person.

The Paralympians however do not get a gold post box, the cauldrons and torches they have used have been silver in colour indicating second best, and for each gold medallist they do not get their individual stamps like able bodied athletes have but in fact have to grouped with other Paralympians on a shared stamp.

It is clearly a case of second fiddle and second class citizens and they are definitely not classed as equal as able bodied athletes and their silver coloured status clearly indicates token gestures.

Also, why has there been a separate staging of Olympics with Paralympics having their own ceremony and logos, is it not more logical and better source of inclusion to have the Paralympics merged with the other Olympics so that everyone is classed as equal and not as some secondary freak show that nobody wants to be seen with and given equal exposure, it all smells of very bad human rights to me.

My bold, well they are.

They cant hold a candle to their able bodied counterparts.

Archived