Is It Fair To Tax Your Pension??

Sorry Old Tup but I have little sympathy for you. If you took a little more interest in how your

private pension operates when you were paying into the scheme (that is what you pay in, what tax

relief you get, what your employer pays in) and how the income tax system works you would be in a

better position to provide an argument as to why you shouldn't pay tax, but of course you haven't.

The Personal Allowance for someone aged 65-74 for tax year 2012-13 is £10,500

The basic state pension for a single person is £5600 (approx)

HMRC consider the state pension and other pensions as taxible income. Thus if your state pension

plus your private pension exceed your personal allowance you pay tax.

Sorry Old Tup but I have little sympathy for you. If you took a little more interest in how your

private pension operates when you were paying into the scheme (that is what you pay in, what tax

relief you get, what your employer pays in) and how the income tax system works you would be in a

better position to provide an argument as to why you shouldn't pay tax, but of course you haven't.

The Personal Allowance for someone aged 65-74 for tax year 2012-13 is £10,500

The basic state pension for a single person is £5600 (approx)

HMRC consider the state pension and other pensions as taxible income. Thus if your state pension

plus your private pension exceed your personal allowance you pay tax.

We all whinge about something, even Jesus whinged about Judas " denighing him ", or something like that.:clap::clap::clap:

Hi Mikes10 I did pay attention to what I payed in to my private pension since the late 70s I put in a good amount weekly which the government matched.It was the opting out scheme,all my workmates took the micky saying I was stupid putting cash in.Well they are scratching and I have got a comfortable carry on so who was stupid?,my point is pensioners should have a larger tax free allowance than now if they have paid their dues all their working life.My comment about not paying any tax was a bit tongue in cheek as I,ve always been a moaning bugger as you may have gathered!.:confused::roll::hihi::hihi:

Well Old Tup, you should have formulated your argument better: just stating "I've worked all my

life" and "I shouldn't pay tax on my pension" is not a valid argument.

I would like to see the personal tax allowance increased to at least half the national average salary

that would take lots of people out of tax, however the basic income tax rate may have to be increased

a couple of percent to ensure the treasury get their income, but of course that's a whole new debate.

It's a shame that the government cannot just let pensioners have their money tax free. If you have worked and paid taxes all your life, why not just give them their retirement funds tax free. If you pay into private pension schemes for your benefit when you are older, then that is your choice and you shouldn't be penalised later on for it. If, because of your well paid job you can sit back and retire in comfort, then well done for that. The rules need changing.

I work part time due to disablement. I cant wait to retire in 18 months time and get my pensions. my firm is FULL of old buggers working past 65 and this weekend, the bank holiday weekend, all the old buggers have volunteered to work.

I find this shamefull, they ought to tax them at double rate. The greedy old sods.........

Maybe a lot of elderly folk are lonely and live on their own. To go to “a job” creates a social opportunity where for a few hours each day they do not feel that loneliness because they are around people. We will all be old one day.

Archived