Is It Fair To Tax Your Pension??

I am old. I also have a life and interests outside of work. The people I am referring to are motivated by greed. I should [with luck] reach pension age in 18 months time and I intend to enjoy life as much as possible.

Perhaps the fact that I work for a total @rsehole of a company has a bearing on my attitude to work.

If you haven't reached retirement age you're certainly not old! Old starts well into the 70s these days. ;)

Free TV licence, winter fuel, insulation, passports, prescriptions, eye tests, transport, etc. Guaranteed income of at least £119/week even if you've never worked.

If you're paying income tax on your pension then you're already deferring the taxes you would have otherwise paid on the contributions you made while you were working, so you get to use your allowances more tax efficiently by having a pension. It's a cheek to say it should be tax free.

Really? - where do you sign up?

In the UK, Rupert. I'm not sure if they have it wherever you are, maybe they're more sensible there.

We also have higher income tax allowances for pensioners. They no longer pay national insurance contributions.

Archived