Best things to do in Sheffield as a foreigner

SerYee

I'm from Malaysia and been looking for activities that I could join for experiencing the culture. Any suggestion?

Or is there any food or things that I must try in Sheffield?

There isn't much culture, try another city.

I've tried Henderson relish. Quite like hw it taste. :thumbsup:

The cashier was surprise that I know abt the sauce. :bigsmile: Thanks to you all with the great info. :)

Will continue and try out other things mentioned. ^^

And certainly no cuisine to speak of. Plenty of fields tho but that's not strictly sheff.[/Q

Sweeping statement, Everyone has an opinion but this adds nothing. There are plenty of good restaurants, i presume you refer to michelin star type food which caters for 1% or less of the population.

I'd say that like all big British cities there isn't really an individual culture in Sheffield that separates it from any other city. They're all just carbon copies of each other with identical bars and restaurants although there are small areas of individuality in the city such asa Kelham Island.

However, as the greenest city in Europe we have some amazing parks. Also, travel 5 minutes out of Sheffield and you can experience some of the most beautiful areas of nature in the country.

I would get out into the Peak District. Visit places like Castleton, Buxton, Chatsworth house, Bakewell, Ladybower. Lots of nice walks and some interesting things to see when you are there. Hire a bike and go along the Monsal trail I think you can get bus or train to most places from the city centre.

Have a few climbing lessons at one of the climbing centres, lots of people come to Sheffield so they can work in a city but be close to the Peak for climbing or bouldering.

If your here for a while I would:

- get tickets for the world snooker at the Crucible

- go and watch a play or musical at the Lyceum.

- Visit the free museum above the library

- Visit Weston Park museum.

- Watch a footie match (often students can get cheap tickets)

-Have a walk along the canal on the 5 weirs walk.

-Go on a real ale pub crawl.

- Do some voluntary work (I used to do stuff at SUFC which involved working with local children)

- Join a 5 aside football team or if your a girl have a go at netball (2 popular sporting hobbies in Sheffield that are cheap)

- Go to a beer festival

- visit Graves park / Abbeydale industrial hamlet

Further afield is Yorkshire sculpture park which is well worth a visit in good weather.

Have fun!

And certainly no cuisine to speak of. Plenty of fields tho but that's not strictly sheff.[/Q

Sweeping statement, Everyone has an opinion but this adds nothing. There are plenty of good restaurants, i presume you refer to michelin star type food which caters for 1% or less of the population.

Yep, chinese, Indian or whatever. Thats the whole point.

Archived