An end to modified cars?

Ridiculous, what happens when you can no longer get OE parts for your car and need to replace them with uprated components e.g. brakes and suspension because that's all you can find? Not only is it a necessity to keep the car on the road it actually makes it safer so what is the problem?

Throw away society yet again.

The bits you describe will all ready be made to OE spec or above, provided you don't buy from an unknown source ie of the net

I can see where this is a good thing in some respects when you see the boy racers sheds held together with duck tape and rivets. My car is modified , a standard mk5 golf tdi but added extra GTi genuine bbs vw wheels, grille, headlights, tails lights and a top of the range tuning box By steinbauer ( not your £50 eBay special ). Now this all being genuine vw modifications parts except tuning chip ( which can be turned off while driving on the fly if required ) , would that make my car illegal ?

I think the legislation is probably perfectly justified when we pay road tax based on emissions. If you buy a 1.2 and stick a 3.0 engine in it shouldn't you be required to tax the vehicle and pay the same duty as the 3.0?

Insurers will quite happily pay bodyshops to fit non gen wings, bonnets, lights etc made to OE spec.So you are wrong on that point.

Don't you have to inform your insurers about bigger brakes/different suspesnion etc? How many changes does it take to make a car a completely different animal to the one on the policy?

I think the legislation is probably perfectly justified when we pay road tax based on emissions. If you buy a 1.2 and stick a 3.0 engine in it shouldn't you be required to tax the vehicle and pay the same duty as the 3.0?

I suspect the car would be either un-insurable or prohibitively expensive to insure and the tax bracket would also be altered provided you informed dvla of the modification.

Don't you have to inform your insurers about bigger brakes/different suspesnion etc? How many changes does it take to make a car a completely different animal to the one on the policy?

yes of course , the company should be told of any modifications but fitting of replacement parts made to OE spec is not a modification.

second point ,who knows

yes of course , the company should be told of any modifications but fitting of replacement parts made to OE spec is not a modification.

second point ,who knows

I'm sorry, I thought you were making an argument for the fitting of non OE spec stuff.. :)

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a proposal and will most likely come to naught.

Even if it does, the interpretation could be currently taken out of context.

For example, this section:

This may prevent most modifications to vehicles without further approval of the vehicle. (this will apply to many components and to all types of vehicle)

1) It says "may" not "will".

2) It could mean nothing more than a special MOT for the customisation.

Archived