An end to modified cars?

f

Insurers should only refuse to pay out if a given modification plays a part in an accident, that chap with the alloys is totally unfair

[Devil's advocate]..if the original car was manufactured with steels then the premium will be based on that..why should the ins. co. fork out on a set of alloys which weren't covered? Where does it stop?can I replace my box standard stereo with a 2 grand "thumper" and expect the insurance to pay out for that if it gets stolen?[/devil's advocate]

[Devil's advocate]..if the original car was manufactured with steels then the premium will be based on that..why should the ins. co. fork out on a set of alloys which weren't covered? Where does it stop?can I replace my box standard stereo with a 2 grand "thumper" and expect the insurance to pay out for that if it gets stolen?[/devil's advocate]

no, they should, if the wheels were damaged, replace them with steel wheels, ie, the limit of the insured value

no, they should, if the wheels were damaged, replace them with steel wheels, ie, the limit of the insured value

I understand what you're saying .. let's change it a bit..how about the alloys were stolen.would you expect the ins. to replace those with steels? The original steels would probably not have been stolen so the ins. co. would not have had to pay out..hence the lower premium (maybe)..the higher cost/risk of the alloys would have increased the premium..if you get my drift ( sorry if I've not explained it properly)

I understand what you're saying .. let's change it a bit..how about the alloys were stolen.would you expect the ins. to replace those with steels? The original steels would probably not have been stolen so the ins. co. would not have had to pay out..hence the lower premium (maybe)..the higher cost/risk of the alloys would have increased the premium..if you get my drift ( sorry if I've not explained it properly)

no, they shouldnt pay in this instance, the loss was directly linked to the undeclared mod

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliantly this was all total nonsense from the usual tabloid idiots - just shows you how stupid you can look getting yourself worked up over some lie you read in the paper.

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/none-of-newspapers-checked-facts-with.html

Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.

The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.

All other cars would remain subject to roadworthiness testing, just as they are now. Whether or not they have been modified is not of itself relevant: what counts is whether they are safe and that is what is assessed by MOT tests in the UK and by the equivalent tests elsewhere.

What the proposals will do is require all Member States to bring their road worthiness tests up to a certain level of rigour, already applied in the UK : for example, motorbikes will need to be tested regularly everywhere, as they are already in the UK. This will make driving safer for UK drivers at home and abroad.

This is the EC legislation that we're talking about, isn't it? I wonder just how far this will go?

My car is meant to have Michelin Energy tyres on it. I've put Toyo tyres on for two reasons - the handling is better and they are cheaper. They are the same size and same speed rating though. So, is that a modification?

Also, in winter, I may put some cold weather tyres on. Rather than messing around with getting the tyres changed, was just going to put the summer tyres onto alloys and use the current steel rims in winter. That will obviously be a modification using alloys. What if they are genuine Citroen alloys?

This is the EC legislation that we're talking about, isn't it? I wonder just how far this will go?

My car is meant to have Michelin Energy tyres on it. I've put Toyo tyres on for two reasons - the handling is better and they are cheaper. They are the same size and same speed rating though. So, is that a modification?

Also, in winter, I may put some cold weather tyres on. Rather than messing around with getting the tyres changed, was just going to put the summer tyres onto alloys and use the current steel rims in winter. That will obviously be a modification using alloys. What if they are genuine Citroen alloys?

Read post 46.

Archived