GCSE Results out today!

My son who is in y9 got up this morning and asked if we could get his results so with him only being in y9 I thought he must be mixed up but he asked me to ring school and ask if there was any results for him they said yes so went and got them he had got two one a betch in music and the other in ICT and he had a merit in both to say I was shocked was an understatement.

The results will reduce dramatically in two years when the first kids get marked under the new system.

There is a lot of voracity in what you say.

The current cohort of pupils, and probably those from the two subsequent years, will have to pay the cost of the resetting of the examination system to something that is meaningful. It is most unfortunate for the individuals concerned, but absolutely vital for the credibility of the education system. An examination system where only those candidates falling below the second percentile fail is nonsense.

The shift away from comparative assessment was a disaster, as it led to examination boards; operating in a competitive, commercial sphere; setting progressively easier examinations, and to teachers teaching to attain passes rather than imparting broad-based, workplace-useful knowledge.

The teaching profession has been quite happy to receive the accolades that successive politicians have heaped upon them while passes were soaring, and are complaining vociferously, and unjustly, now that achievement statistics have waned.

It was notable that the vast majority of the hordes of teachers and head teachers whining on Radio Five Live this morning were far more concerned with the impact the results would have upon their respective schools’ positions in the league tables (and, ergo, their remuneration and career progression) than they were upon the consequences for their pupils.

Archived