GCSE Results out today!

There is a lot of voracity in what you say.

The current cohort of pupils, and probably those from the two subsequent years, will have to pay the cost of the resetting of the examination system to something that is meaningful. It is most unfortunate for the individuals concerned, but absolutely vital for the credibility of the education system. An examination system where only those candidates falling below the second percentile fail is nonsense.

The shift away from comparative assessment was a disaster, as it led to examination boards; operating in a competitive, commercial sphere; setting progressively easier examinations, and to teachers teaching to attain passes rather than imparting broad-based, workplace-useful knowledge.

The teaching profession has been quite happy to receive the accolades that successive politicians have heaped upon them, and are now complaining vociferously, and unjustly, now that achievement statistics have waned.

It was notable that the vast majority of the hordes of teachers and head teachers whining on Radio Five Live this morning were far more concerned with the impact the results would have upon their respective schools’ positions in the league tables (and, ergo, their remuneration and career progression) than they were upon the consequences of their pupils.

I agree the change is needed for the overall good - but it all feels a little personal when you have kids that are going to be this Septs Y10s - the guinea pigs of it all.

There is a lot of voracity in what you say.

The current cohort of pupils, and probably those from the two subsequent years, will have to pay the cost of the resetting of the examination system to something that is meaningful. It is most unfortunate for the individuals concerned, but absolutely vital for the credibility of the education system. An examination system where only those candidates falling below the second percentile fail is nonsense.

The shift away from comparative assessment was a disaster, as it led to examination boards; operating in a competitive, commercial sphere; setting progressively easier examinations, and to teachers teaching to attain passes rather than imparting broad-based, workplace-useful knowledge.

The teaching profession has been quite happy to receive the accolades that successive politicians have heaped upon them, and are now complaining vociferously, and unjustly, now that achievement statistics have waned.

It was notable that the vast majority of the hordes of teachers and head teachers whining on Radio Five Live this morning were far more concerned with the impact the results would have upon their respective schools’ positions in the league tables (and, ergo, their remuneration and career progression) than they were upon the consequences of their pupils.

The collective term for teachers is either a staffroom or a consortium so your GCSE award must be witheld-never heard of a horde or even a herd of teachers:hihi:

My friend's daughter got some excellent grades, including 2x A*s and 3xA grades.

well done kiddo!

Yeah well done to them. Regardless what the trolls on here say, they're not easy exams and I suspect if most of the older people on here sat the them, they'd fail. I know I probably would.

my son goes into yr11 in september, he got his results today, didnt understand them at all.

he's not stupid at all and would probably do well if they were oral, he does have trouble putting it all down on paper however.

his english teacher rang us the 2nd week of the holidays to say how well he had done and she had marked him as a C, i dont understand, his marks now say g

my son goes into yr11 in september, he got his results today, didnt understand them at all.

he's not stupid at all and would probably do well if they were oral, he does have trouble putting it all down on paper however.

his english teacher rang us the 2nd week of the holidays to say how well he had done and she had marked him as a C, i dont understand, his marks now say g

Schools have been entering pupils early for GCSEs for this reason.

He has got a 'G', but has another year to get get his nose to the grindstone and score something better.

The teacher may have meant that she was forecasting him as a 'C' in which case there should be doubts as to her judgement or good reason to have a closer look at his scripts/marking.

She may have meant that an actual "Controlled Assessment" had been done in school before the exams and she had marked that as a 'C' .... but that would only have comprised part of the total marks.

It sounds like his teacher is as daft as he is.Oral exams would help many kids but would you wish to sit and listen to their answers all day to earn a crust?English is about communication and writing is a key medium.

Archived