GCSE Results out today!

It sounds like his teacher is as daft as he is.Oral exams would help many kids but would you wish to sit and listen to their answers all day to earn a crust?English is about communication and writing is a key medium.

Excuse me,,, my child is not daft, he has a difficulty of writing pen to paper, and I take offence to you stating so.

I also have a child a couple of years younger, he is autistic and will need a reader and scriber, are you going to say he's daft too

All 3 of my children are intellegent and can hold a very good conversation with grown mature adults, unlike some adults I have spoken to on here.

Exams don't just test intellect and knowledge, they should (and do) test the ability to present and communicate that effectively. The prime means of doing that is by written communication. Whilst spelling is less of an issue with modern spellcheckers, grammar, sentence construction and the ability to concisely present ideas, under pressure is a valuable skill that people look for.

Excuse me,,, my child is not daft, he has a difficulty of writing pen to paper, and I take offence to you stating so.

I also have a child a couple of years younger, he is autistic and will need a reader and scriber, are you going to say he's daft too

All 3 of my children are intellegent and can hold a very good conversation with grown mature adults, unlike some adults I have spoken to on here.

You wrote that he did not understand his exam results and that he found it hard to articulate,so I was simply agreeing with you.Your autistic son will need an amanuensis but he may not be daft-many autistic children can have hidden qualities.

I am sorry you have spoken to some odd people on the forum-how do you contact them?

Exams don't just test intellect and knowledge, they should (and do) test the ability to present and communicate that effectively. The prime means of doing that is by written communication. Whilst spelling is less of an issue with modern spellcheckers, grammar, sentence construction and the ability to concisely present ideas, under pressure is a valuable skill that people look for.

Agree. In the workplace communication is so important. A lot of jobs require this, especially in written communication.

I'm sure a lot of us have been there. You have to draft a document or email where accuracy is very important, and you read it again and again to ensure it is right and there isn't room for error. In my work any mistakes or room for interpretation always come back to haunt me later. It's not worth making mistakes.

It is a skill that you really hone once in the workplace when mistakes can have a financial or reputational penalty. But that said the foundation of this should be driven home in schools. I see it with my kids when they put together a lazy bit of homework. It gets marked and they get a B or a C when they could have got a top mark. The teacher will point out mistakes and suggestions for improvement but when I question the kids the teachers never say "if you did this in a job.......". Maybe it's because most teachers have never had a job other than teaching. They don't understand the implications of how they teach on the lives of the kids when they leave school.

Gove's idea of bringing in teachers who have not followed the usual teacher training route is not without merit. I don't agree with the way he's trying to do it but there does need to be a slightly different emphasis on how kids are taught.

Archived