A word of warning on buying council houses

I think before you buy your concil house or purchase Ex council proprties you should bear some facts in mind:

If you are council, you will be crossing a class line. you will in effect become a 'middle class' Tory voter ( that's why the Tories are giving away social housing ) as such and you run into difficulties you will get no help ! Particularly bear in mind what happens when you are old. If the people near by are council and they move you can bet your bottom dollar that the local council housing agency will extract revenge by dumping a problem family in their place and take no notice of your complaints. In addition the whole area may go downhill and you will not be able to escape. And think very carefully as to whether you will be able to sell your house to move on - if no one will buy it is worthless!

If you intend to buy ex council, have a very good look at your potential neighbours and for Gods sake make sure you have very good insurance. I didn't - conncil neighbour , right cow, took a dislike to my complaining about her 24/7 barking Rotweiller - kids over fence 2am - fire started in back shed whole of house in flames - made homeless. Councils don't want the publicity of arson so the whole thing is covered up. Police won't investigate they don't for crime on a council estates. Fire brigade as usual claim it was a disgarded fag end in back garden. If you don't want to be in my place - take very good care when you purchase - better still forget it!

I think before you buy your concil house or purchase Ex council proprties you should bear some facts in mind:

If you are council, you will be crossing a class line. you will in effect become a 'middle class' Tory voter ( that's why the Tories are giving away social housing ) as such and you run into difficulties you will get no help ! Particularly bear in mind what happens when you are old. If the people near by are council and they move you can bet your bottom dollar that the local council housing agency will extract revenge by dumping a problem family in their place and take no notice of your complaints. In addition the whole area may go downhill and you will not be able to escape. And think very carefully as to whether you will be able to sell your house to move on - if no one will buy it is worthless!

If you intend to buy ex council, have a very good look at your potential neighbours and for Gods sake make sure you have very good insurance. I didn't - conncil neighbour , right cow, took a dislike to my complaining about her 24/7 barking Rotweiller - kids over fence 2am - fire started in back shed whole of house in flames - made homeless. Councils don't want the publicity of arson so the whole thing is covered up. Police won't investigate they don't for crime on a council estates. Fire brigade as usual claim it was a disgarded fag end in back garden. If you don't want to be in my place - take very good care when you purchase - better still forget it!

This is spot on ... I wouldn't touch one with barge pole! When someone decent moves on, the situation changes overnight and can very often be a living hell! Even in the more affluent areas like Totley and Dore, the council estates such as Totley Brook are no go areas ... this one known to local police as the compound!

All the problems you have pointed out can just as easily happen on private estates. Landlords will move in problem families (usually when the council will no longer house them) as for now being made homeless why did you not have buildings insurance? I bought my council house 10 years ago, no I don't vote Tory, after a while most of my neighbours had bought theirs & as far price going down my house had doubled in value in 3 years. My mortgage was half the amount that the rent was I put the other half away which covers any repairs etc so I'm not spending any more, the only difference is in another 5 years I no longer pay my mortgage, the house is mine rather then continuing to pay the council rent forever & a day

All the problems you have pointed out can just as easily happen on private estates. Landlords will move in problem families (usually when the council will no longer house them) as for now being made homeless why did you not have buildings insurance? I bought my council house 10 years ago, no I don't vote Tory, after a while most of my neighbours had bought theirs & as far price going down my house had doubled in value in 3 years. My mortgage was half the amount that the rent was I put the other half away which covers any repairs etc so I'm not spending any more, the only difference is in another 5 years I no longer pay my mortgage, the house is mine rather then continuing to pay the council rent forever & a day
This can happen on private estates, yes, but a higher probability it will happen on a local authority housing estate. Ex local authority housing is extremely hard to sell unless you are of course in the Peak District, but even they put restrictions on people buying in who don't work or have any connection with the area. Its the just the house, its the general infracture of the area that will be run down and also the high turnover of tenants each adding their bit to the demise of the estate.

Usually people who buy up a council property have been living in it for a while beforehand and will have already got to know their neighbours.

Like in any other sale the onus is on the buyer to do the checking and make sure they have enough money to cover service costs and insurance in case this sort of thing happens. I also though it was part of the mortgage deal to have the property adequately insured.

The council leaflet on the Right to Buy also states the above which is pretty obvious anyway.

Just how long had you been living in it before you purchased it?

Archived