A word of warning on buying council houses

All the problems you have pointed out can just as easily happen on private estates. Landlords will move in problem families (usually when the council will no longer house them) as for now being made homeless why did you not have buildings insurance? I bought my council house 10 years ago, no I don't vote Tory, after a while most of my neighbours had bought theirs & as far price going down my house had doubled in value in 3 years. My mortgage was half the amount that the rent was I put the other half away which covers any repairs etc so I'm not spending any more, the only difference is in another 5 years I no longer pay my mortgage, the house is mine rather then continuing to pay the council rent forever & a day

Great if ALL your neighbours bought theirs - but most cetainly private landlords are an increasing fly in the ointment.

Council houses shouldn't be sold on to the private market at a discount or indeed for the market price ... the social need for council housing is ever increasing and has just hived this off on to the private landlord. I think that local authority housing entitlement for existing tenants should be evaluated every 3 years and if the tenant is in a position to buy financially by the way of a means test then the house should be given up and let to someone who qualifies for assisted housing.

ah diddums did we not get buildings insurance ... owning a house is grown up land where people are expected to take responsibility unlike the entitled eternal childhood of a benefit life...

Wise up, if you are an OAP on benefits ( and remember the Tories aim to get rid of these and replace with the standard basic pension for all ) you will think twice about paying the ever increasing middle class premiums for house insurance, particularly since the 30 yrs I had been there nothing had happend until the council started moving garbage in. Buliding Insurance doesn't cover for the devastation a fire causes and anyway I'm pretty sure having long experiece with insurance companies they would either not pay up or pay the minimum. Have you had any experience of claiming from the insurance particularly nowdays?

Usually people who buy up a council property have been living in it for a while beforehand and will have already got to know their neighbours.

Like in any other sale the onus is on the buyer to do the checking and make sure they have enough money to cover service costs and insurance in case this sort of thing happens. I also though it was part of the mortgage deal to have the property adequately insured.

The council leaflet on the Right to Buy also states the above which is pretty obvious anyway.

Just how long had you been living in it before you purchased it?

Look I'm only trying to warn people - if you feel confident enough - go ahead its on your shoulders.

Wise up, if you are an OAP on benefits ( and remember the Tories aim to get rid of these and replace with the standard basic pension for all ) you will think twice about paying the ever increasing middle class premiums for house insurance, particularly since the 30 yrs I had been there nothing had happend until the council started moving garbage in. Buliding Insurance doesn't cover for the devastation a fire causes and anyway I'm pretty sure having long experiece with insurance companies they would either not pay up or pay the minimum. Have you had any experience of claiming from the insurance particularly nowdays?

Whats with the "middle class" thing - it is very predominant in your posts!

What discount can youget on a council house now anyway. I thought that the maximum was £16,000 ?

No, the discount is about double that in Sheffield (more in other places of the country?).

It is unfortunate that the OP suffered how they did, but it bears no relevance for others who might thinking of buying their own home. In fact it is silly not to buy your own home as you are going to be a lot better off in the short and long-term, what with continued increases in rent and often much lower mortgage payments, it makes little sense to continue paying rent for the rest of your life. Continue to rent and you can have bought your house three/four times over during your working life. Much better to buy. You can even sell up after five years and move on if you want to. (If you sell before five years you have to pay a percentage back to the council on a sliding scale.)

Archived