A word of warning on buying council houses

.......... which is why I am slightly bemused at the many references to it by the OP.

I see it as:-

Working Class:- Like the name suggests, you have to work to earn your living which takes in 90% of the UK population. If you have to work, you're working class!

Middle Class:- Your investments or business interests provide you with a comfortable living, ie celebrities etc

Upper Class:- The likes of royalty, Dukes, Lords etc who rely on income from public purse or old money to survive

I see it as:-

Working Class:- Like the name suggests, you have to work to earn your living which takes in 90% of the UK population. If you have to work, you're working class!

Middle Class:- Your investments or business interests provide you with a comfortable living, ie celebrities etc

Upper Class:- The likes of royalty, Dukes, Lords etc who rely on income from public purse or old money to survive

Ah - but what if you have to work but your income is £100 k would you still say that is middle class?

and are you serious about the likes of say Jordon or John Terry being middle class? maybe in wealth terms.........

'flog it' being the stumbling block

Take a look at the Title of this thread ...

I did take a look at the title(again),wheres your point??:rolleyes:.

A property will always sell,for the right price.

Currently you can get upto 60% discount,to a maximum of £75,000.So its not unheard of people buying their council home for £30,000+,and selling it on for £65,000 upwards.

I think before you buy your concil house or purchase Ex council proprties you should bear some facts in mind:

If you are council, you will be crossing a class line. you will in effect become a 'middle class' Tory voter ( that's why the Tories are giving away social housing ) as such and you run into difficulties you will get no help ! Particularly bear in mind what happens when you are old. If the people near by are council and they move you can bet your bottom dollar that the local council housing agency will extract revenge by dumping a problem family in their place and take no notice of your complaints. In addition the whole area may go downhill and you will not be able to escape. And think very carefully as to whether you will be able to sell your house to move on - if no one will buy it is worthless!

If you intend to buy ex council, have a very good look at your potential neighbours and for Gods sake make sure you have very good insurance. I didn't - conncil neighbour , right cow, took a dislike to my complaining about her 24/7 barking Rotweiller - kids over fence 2am - fire started in back shed whole of house in flames - made homeless. Councils don't want the publicity of arson so the whole thing is covered up. Police won't investigate they don't for crime on a council estates. Fire brigade as usual claim it was a disgarded fag end in back garden. If you don't want to be in my place - take very good care when you purchase - better still forget it!

what a load of garbage this writer is sproutingit was the best thing i ever did firstly it was thatcher who sold every thing off so i bout mine for a song i got a small mortgage and very small repayments some thing like £60 pound a month. how much do council tenants pay 65 75 pound a week plus it's more than trebled the price we paid and our kids will have a couple of quid when we go

what a load of garbage this writer is sproutingit was the best thing i ever did firstly it was thatcher who sold every thing off so i bout mine for a song i got a small mortgage and very small repayments some thing like £60 pound a month. how much do council tenants pay 65 75 pound a week plus it's more than trebled the price we paid and our kids will have a couple of quid when we go

But the idea of building council houses to sell to you at a discounted rate and therefore 'leaving your kids with a few quid' was not the original intention. By buying your council house you are depriving a needy person of reasonably priced rented accommodation ...

I did take a look at the title(again),wheres your point??:rolleyes:.

A property will always sell,for the right price.

Currently you can get upto 60% discount,to a maximum of £75,000.So its not unheard of people buying their council home for £30,000+,and selling it on for £65,000 upwards.

Bought mine in 2005,27k & paid for it, sold 2007 £89,950 on Parson cross,nice profit for my house farandawayfromparsoncross, drinks are on maggie.

Look I'm only trying to warn people - if you feel confident enough - go ahead its on your shoulders.

Warn people of exactly what, the fact that you were daft enough not to have insurance?

Anyway, as asked how long did you live in the property before you purchased it?

By buying your council house you are depriving a needy person of reasonably priced rented accommodation ...

Its a fact that most people who have bought their council property generally stay in that same property till they die thus depriving no one in their lifetime. Not everybody was able to buy one and then sell it off for a quick profit.

In any case the lack of council homes is down to the governments and council for not building any for the past 50 + years and the buyer should not feel guilty for buying one.

Archived