A word of warning on buying council houses

Council houses shouldn't be sold on to the private market at a discount or indeed for the market price ... the social need for council housing is ever increasing and has just hived this off on to the private landlord. I think that local authority housing entitlement for existing tenants should be evaluated every 3 years and if the tenant is in a position to buy financially by the way of a means test then the house should be given up and let to someone who qualifies for assisted housing.

Or maybe the council should start looking at the many houses used solely as a giro drop off or that the severely disabled single tenant sub-lets for £600 per month to top up her disability benefit whilst she lives with her partner in Spain?

I wouldn't have been able to afford a mortgage if I didn't buy my council house so who am I depriving of a home? No-one - if I wasn't living in it as an owner I'd still be living in it as a council tenant. Not to mention they got the next 10 years worth of rent in one lump sum & save any maintenance or repair costs. So why is it my fault the council haven't put that to buying new homes. Perhaps if the council didn't spend a fortune on modernising 100's houses around Deerlands only to demolish them a few years later more housing or money to build would be available. Despite what the anti right to buy witch hunters would like to convince us of its not our fault the council have no idea how to spend money in a productive manner

Bought mine in 2005,27k & paid for it, sold 2007 £89,950 on Parson cross,nice profit for my house farandawayfromparsoncross, drinks are on maggie.

Good to hear.For some people this is the only way to get onto the property market,and in no way should they be made to feel guilty for doing so.

Buy it for the discount,pay it off,flog it,job done.

snapped their hands off back in the day...worked out cheaper than renting...now the oldies live rent free..and ready to offload them to their siblings when the time comes...

heard they were going to shift some more...fancy a nice little bungalow...happy days...thanks maggie

I don't think people should be allowed to buy council houses whatsoever, not when the need for social housing is so high and they aren't replacing them! I can't afford to get in the housing ladder but if I was in a council place I actually wanted to buy , I wouldn't, even if I could!

I bought a house that was once a council house. I suppose I'm an evil 'tory', 'middle class' and soon my nice neighbours will turn into psychopaths and burn my house down. Oh well.

No you are missing my point entirely I had wonderful neighbours when I came. BUT if your neighbours are council, once their kids have grown up there is a good chance they will move into a flat. It is what replaces them you ought to worry about, take heed of the possibility that because some councils do not like their stock being sold off they will replace with a problem family. They know you will either be forced to move and sell out at a loss to a private landlord or become a private landlord yourself.

I don't think people should be allowed to buy council houses whatsoever, not when the need for social housing is so high and they aren't replacing them! I can't afford to get in the housing ladder but if I was in a council place I actually wanted to buy , I wouldn't, even if I could!

When I bought my house it was not to make an instant profit. I bought in the early days before the Tories had destroyed our industries and replaced them with an industry based on people buying and selling houses at stupid prices. And I bought it because I could not get a council house or flat ( which I wanted ) NEAR the place where I then worked. I was forced to buy at a very low price. The thought that someday people would be actually willing tobuy a council house so that they had a step on the housing ladder never entered my head.

I'd describe middle class as a combined annual income circa 100k. Not many of those living on the local sink estates in Sheffield!

Or in affluent areas either - at least in Sheffield.

Of course there's a fair few* on here who claim to be wealthy and who like to flaunt their wealth and rub people's noses in it.

*Most likely the same person with multiple SF accounts and delusions of grandeur :roll:

When I bought my house it was not to make an instant profit. I bought in the early days before the Tories had destroyed our industries and replaced them with an industry based on people buying and selling houses at stupid prices. And I bought it because I could not get a council house or flat ( which I wanted ) NEAR the place where I then worked. I was forced to buy at a very low price. The thought that someday people would be actually willing tobuy a council house so that they had a step on the housing ladder never entered my head.

That is a fair point, I wish they would not allow them to be bought now though. But hey-ho! :)

This is spot on ... I wouldn't touch one with barge pole! When someone decent moves on, the situation changes overnight and can very often be a living hell! Even in the more affluent areas like Totley and Dore, the council estates such as Totley Brook are no go areas ... this one known to local police as the compound!

Totley Brook -makes Shankhill Road look like the Royal Mile.:hihi:

Archived