A word of warning on buying council houses

I don't think people should be allowed to buy council houses whatsoever, not when the need for social housing is so high and they aren't replacing them! I can't afford to get in the housing ladder but if I was in a council place I actually wanted to buy , I wouldn't, even if I could!

What nonsense. So you should be forced to pay £350 a month in rent for the rest of your working life (say 55 years) going up 7% per year, instead of paying £250 for a 15 year mortgage? You would rather do this?

This has nothing to do with 'Tory' or 'middle class' or any of that nonsense and everything to do with common sense...

The only part of right to buy that I disagree with is that a tenant can get a discount which exceeds the rent they have paid.

The discount should be capped at half the total rent they have paid, I know a someone that bought their council house for a 60% discount despite the fact they had never paid any rent, that can’t be fare on those people that don’t have the opportunity to buy a cheap house.

I think before you buy your concil house or purchase Ex council proprties you should bear some facts in mind:

If you are council, you will be crossing a class line. you will in effect become a 'middle class' Tory voter ( that's why the Tories are giving away social housing ) as such and you run into difficulties you will get no help ! Particularly bear in mind what happens when you are old. If the people near by are council and they move you can bet your bottom dollar that the local council housing agency will extract revenge by dumping a problem family in their place and take no notice of your complaints. In addition the whole area may go downhill and you will not be able to escape. And think very carefully as to whether you will be able to sell your house to move on - if no one will buy it is worthless!

If you intend to buy ex council, have a very good look at your potential neighbours and for Gods sake make sure you have very good insurance. I didn't - conncil neighbour , right cow, took a dislike to my complaining about her 24/7 barking Rotweiller - kids over fence 2am - fire started in back shed whole of house in flames - made homeless. Councils don't want the publicity of arson so the whole thing is covered up. Police won't investigate they don't for crime on a council estates. Fire brigade as usual claim it was a disgarded fag end in back garden. If you don't want to be in my place - take very good care when you purchase - better still forget it!

I would have thought that sensible people would not buy into a council estate.

The only part of right to buy that I disagree with is that a tenant can get a discount which exceeds the rent they have paid.

The discount should be capped at half the total rent they have paid, I know a someone that bought their council house for a 60% discount despite the fact they had never paid any rent**, that can’t be fare on those people that don’t have the opportunity to buy a cheap house.

** No, you don't. That person's rent was fully paid, failing which RTB would not have been exercisable.

** No, you don't. That person's rent was fully paid, failing which RTB would not have been exercisable.

I second that,the council wouldn't allow the sale with arear's on your account.Plus he/she wouldn't have received anywhere near the 60% discount.I believe you have to be a tenant for a minimum 5 years,and that only entitles you to 35%.

I second that,the council wouldn't allow the sale with arear's on your account.Plus he/she wouldn't have received anywhere near the 60% discount.I believe you have to be a tenant for a minimum 5 years,and that only entitles you to 35%.

You are seconding nonsense then, the person had been a council tenant for over twenty years, they didn't work or pay rent, yet they received a discount when they bought it.

You are seconding nonsense then, the person had been a council tenant for over twenty years, they didn't work or pay rent, yet they received a discount when they bought it.

In you post you mentioned "they didn't pay rent",where did you mention they was out of work and on benefits?,or are we just to assume this?:loopy:.

Archived