A word of warning on buying council houses

Wise up, if you are an OAP on benefits ( and remember the Tories aim to get rid of these and replace with the standard basic pension for all ) you will think twice about paying the ever increasing middle class premiums for house insurance, particularly since the 30 yrs I had been there nothing had happend until the council started moving garbage in.

If you're an OAP on benefits you're not likely to be taking advantage of the right to buy are you.

Buliding Insurance doesn't cover for the devastation a fire causes and anyway I'm pretty sure having long experiece with insurance companies they would either not pay up or pay the minimum. Have you had any experience of claiming from the insurance particularly nowdays?

Paying a reasonable market price for something that was bought at a discount will leave the owner with a profit without the trouble of selling it!

I'd describe middle class as a combined annual income circa 100k. Not many of those living on the local sink estates in Sheffield!

Lol

So two university lecturers as a couple wouldn't be middle class.

Neither would two recently graduated doctors.

Nor any of my solicitor friends.

That's the highest bar to 'middle class' I've ever seen!

What nonsense. So you should be forced to pay £350 a month in rent for the rest of your working life (say 55 years) going up 7% per year, instead of paying £250 for a 15 year mortgage? You would rather do this?

No, you'd be completely free at any point to go and buy a house privately.

It's irrelevant who paid it. L let to T; T's rent was paid.

No it’s not irrelevant, my opinion is based on the relevant fact that I don’t think someone’s Right to Buy discount should exceed the amount of rent they have paid. In my opinion they shouldn’t get a discount which is greater than half the rent they have paid during their time as a tenant.

So if they have paid £20K rent over the life of their tenancy they should only get a maximum £10K discount.

Please feel free to inform the rest of us where you got this fact from because I think you are talking out of your back side :loopy:

The information is from personal experience, from experience of being on a joint management board, some from helping out the local TARA and from community involvement.

Just in the small area where I live I can count 8 neighbours who purchased their property several years ago, most are now elderly and still live in them. If you have a look a a lot of council estates you will see the same thing mirrored and the idea that everybody bought one to sell on for a quick profit is a myth.

As already pointed out selling a council property is also difficult as most don't want to buy privately into a council estate.

According to some figures over 50% of SCC council stock has now disappeared but its probable that out of that 50% a great proportion have in fact been demolished by SCC or given away to housing associations. Yes, lots were also given away as there was no money available to maintain them to a decent standard and the others were just demolished.

Now, would you like a bog roll?:)

No, you'd be completely free at any point to go and buy a house privately.

Only if you could afford a sizeable deposit and could take on a larger mortgage. Buying a council house is for many people the only way to afford to buy a house. And I still don't believe you when you say you would rather pay rent for the rest of your life than own if within a 15/20 year (or less) period.

Lol

So two university lecturers as a couple wouldn't be middle class.

Neither would two recently graduated doctors.

Nor any of my solicitor friends.

That's the highest bar to 'middle class' I've ever seen!

You can’t buy class, if I won the Euro millions tonight I would still be working class and proud of it ……. My dad and granddad would turn in their graves if I suddenly jumped ship because I came into a bob or two.

The information is from personal experience, from experience of being on a joint management board, some from helping out the local TARA and from community involvement.

Just in the small area where I live I can count 8 neighbours who purchased their property several years ago, most are now elderly and still live in them. If you have a look a a lot of council estates you will see the same thing mirrored and the idea that everybody bought one to sell on for a quick profit is a myth.

As already pointed out selling a council property is also difficult as most don't want to buy privately into a council estate.

According to some figures over 50% of SCC council stock has now disappeared but its probable that out of that 50% a great proportion have in fact been demolished by SCC or given away to housing associations. Yes, lots were also given away as there was no money available to maintain them to a decent standard and the others were just demolished.

Now, would you like a bog roll?:)

So its not a fact then, it's just your personal opinion. I know of alot more than eight people in my small area that bought their council home years ago that have now sold it, made a good profit and moved on.

As for the bog roll, you keep it, you need it more than me :hihi:

It’s obvious that if a tenant doesn't pay rent for their council house they must be on benefits, I didn't think it would need explaining, I incorrectly thought everyone would have understood that.

It might be obvious...to you!,because you wrote it!.

Anyway,,all your figures that you present don't even tally up with your original post's.

Paid £10,000?sold it for £60,000?,Yet you were claiming he got a 60% discount.hmmm.

Also,correct me if im wrong(which im sure you will ;) ).Didn't the 60% only come in a few months ago?.

It might be obvious...to you!,because you wrote it!.

Anyway,,all your figures that you present don't even tally up with your original post's.

Paid £10,000?sold it for £60,000?,Yet you were claiming he got a 60% discount.hmmm.

Also,correct me if im wrong(which im sure you will ;) ).Didn't the 60% only come in a few months ago?.

The price went up in the 6 months from buying it to selling it; basically the council mucked up in its original valuation and sold it for much less than it was worth. They also sold it know they was going to buy it back to demolish it.

No the 60% has always been there, its the cap that went up from £28K (I think) to £75K.

Archived