A word of warning on buying council houses

I didn't say they should be given priority, but a system that rewards a family that doesn't work with three free houses, whilst keeping houses out of the reach of many workers, is worthy discussion and complaint.

8 bedrooms, for 3 adults and two children isn't right when other people ar strugling to find an house.

so should they be out on the streets? should they be in a hotel costing us the taxpayer even more ? should all unemployed people (regardless of circumstances) not be given social housing ?

so should they be out on the streets? should they be in a hotel costing us the taxpayer even more ? should all unemployed people (regardless of circumstances) not be given social housing ?

No they should be living in one tax funded house until they can afford to pay for more.

No they should be living in one tax funded house until they can afford to pay for more.

But their not one family, they're 3 separate families. A job or income doesn't define you as a family, your relationship and children do. Are you suggesting if I dont have a brother or sister I should be means tested on the status of a relative twice removed?

Only if you could afford a sizeable deposit and could take on a larger mortgage. Buying a council house is for many people the only way to afford to buy a house. And I still don't believe you when you say you would rather pay rent for the rest of your life than own if within a 15/20 year (or less) period.

Nobody ever said that though, you just made it up as the only possible alternative to buying a council house at a discount.

The vast majority of people don't have that option, they have to save a deposit and they have to buy a house privately. Social housing is supposed to be a safety net, not a savings scheme and easy route to owning a house.

You can’t buy class, if I won the Euro millions tonight I would still be working class and proud of it ……. My dad and granddad would turn in their graves if I suddenly jumped ship because I came into a bob or two.

Indeed, it's down to a whole bunch of things of which income is only one, but the post I was responding to seemed to think that income was the most important one and had set it at a very high level.

The examples I chose were both highly educated (degree level or beyond), professional and non manual. I chose them deliberately, IMO those occupations epitomise middle class, but they would both fall short of the income level that was being suggested as required to be middle class.

But their not one family, they're 3 separate families. A job or income doesn't define you as a family, your relationship and children do. Are you suggesting if I dont have a brother or sister I should be means tested on the status of a relative twice removed?

How are they not one family?

Grandmother

- Daughter - Granddaughter

- Daughter - Granddaughter

Looks like 1 family to me.

why :huh: unless you are now suggesting that all unemployed people should move back in with their parents :loopy:

If their parents house has room, and they are living as single parents then that sounds entirely reasonable, given the shortage of housing.

Archived