What to do with £80,000 ?

A cash ISA may get you 3% but you can't put more than £5,640 in this year. Most saving accounts are less than that, about 2.5% for a decent one which, after tax (at 20%), would give you £150 pcm.

You lose that amount due to inflation. 3% interest with 3% inflation means your money is doing nothing. Any less & you're losing out, you might as well spend it all now.

You lose that amount due to inflation. 3% interest with 3% inflation means your money is doing nothing. Any less & you're losing out, you might as well spend it all now.

Not investing it in an account will mean 0% return, so you'll be loosing even more compared inflation.

Spending it now is only useful if you have something to spend it on. Spending it for the sake of it is surely worse than only getting a 3% return and keeping pace with inflation.

No, I've never said it's all fixed. I said owners and trainers make race decisions for a variety of reasons carried out by the riders. This is true. Sometimes these decisions if known in advance can massively profit the few in the know, even if said decisions were never made for gain. Real solid information like this is hard to come by, maybe only a few times a year. And if you're lucky enough to be party to such info, you have no control of how late the details will come in so may only have a very short time to find the necessary cash. As I said earlier, you are naive to think otherwise.

You did say that. But of course it was your assertion that I did think otherwise, a strawman if you like.

Tell me, if some random person on a forum tells you they know a dead cert for any particular race, how likely would you think it that they have inside information compared to how likely it is that they know very little?

I use a number of resources to ensure the successful purchase of an investment property. Is the purchase best suited to a buy to let or buy to flip strategy. The idea of using asking price information to value property to formulate an offer is ridiculous,

I didn't suggest doing that though did I.

I used rightmove to get an idea of how much houses cost since you chose a city 150 miles away from here as your 'sensible' investment advice!

I don't use the land registry either or any other "fairies", just a number of valuable tools which I pay monthly for. The Last 3-6 months sold prices are all well and good for an overview but carry almost zero weight as to what I will offer. Like most professional investors, you want equity included in the price from the beginning as standard. Also, I almost never have to bid against any other investor for a discounted property that matches my criteria, because I'm either the first to know about it or someone else is selling me the deal. All down to networking and marketing, like all successful investment opportunities. If you do what everyone else is doing you will get what everyone else is getting. You clearly have a lot to learn, sadly hindered by your ego.

I don't because I'm not in the business of buying houses to let, spending a lot of time learning the intricate details would be a waste of my time. Obviously the OP is also not an experienced BTL investor and has no network or skills in this area either, which puts your suggestion of how to invest in a different light doesn't it. The picture your painting makes it sound like a first time investor is unlikely to make the massive return you were talking about.

To suggest that savvy investors don't search country and worldwide to realise the best yields is just hilarious.

To suggest that someone asking about what account is best to generate a return on 80k should buy 4 houses instead (in a city they know nothing about) is even funnier than that.

I'm sorry you don't think a 2 hour drive now and again to MK is worth the wonderful current LHA rate.

If BTL is something you do then no, a bit of a drive would be no issue at all.

But given the opening post your advice was about the worst given wasn't it.

Not investing it in an account will mean 0% return, so you'll be loosing even more compared inflation.

Spending it now is only useful if you have something to spend it on. Spending it for the sake of it is surely worse than only getting a 3% return and keeping pace with inflation.

You would need something to spend it on, I'm not suggesting blowing it all on a night out. It's quite easy to find things that are likely to rise in value by more than the general rate of inflation.

You would need something to spend it on, I'm not suggesting blowing it all on a night out. It's quite easy to find things that are likely to rise in value by more than the general rate of inflation.

If it were that easy then surely we'd all be investing in them right now...

Can you give me an example?

Archived