What to do with £80,000 ?

Hello,

I am the second cousin of Major General Fazi bami Undoolarei who was charged with the honourable and responsible duty of transporting 120 million dollars in used US bank notes to an incinerator on behalf of the Government and under personal instruction of the President himself.

I can not name our beloved country for sake of national security but I can confide in you that it is part of the African continent.

A terrible accident ocurred in which my cousin sufferred a heart attack while driving his SUV with civilian plates for anonimity to the incineration plant. Sadly, he never arrived. His top secret mission was never completed and now, having had his car returned to me, I have found myself in possession of a rather overwhelming sum of money.

I trust you my friend and have chosen you to help me. I would like to deposit the money in your bank account but in order to do this I need you to make a small deposit for me so that I can then return the cash flow, with extra ammounts direct to you.

This way there will be no suspicion as money comes into the account before it goes out.

Please send me a small amount of 80,000 British pounds .................

you get the picture ............. can't be bothered doing anymore etc etc scams eh?

I missed the part about the property needing to be in S6 :huh:

Anyway, what's the rent yield?

I'm sorry, did I choose somewhere to use as an example. Maybe you had a different example in mind?

I included the entirety of Sheffield as well though, all having fallen in value, so I guess you'll be looking South?

What does the rent yield? So you think BTL is the way to go as well then? Or do you mean what does the rent yield on something you can buy for 80k?

I'm sorry, did I choose somewhere to use as an example. Maybe you had a different example in mind?

I included the entirety of Sheffield as well though, all having fallen in value, so I guess you'll be looking South?

What does the rent yield? So you think BTL is the way to go as well then? Or do you mean what does the rent yield on something you can buy for 80k?

I wasn't suggesting buying property to leave it stood empty, if you're buying property it should be rented out or used. Assuming the housing market stays flat - which it has been since about 2009 (there have been small ups & downs) the net rental yield would be your income. Property in London has kept rising & you could expect around 5-6% in rental yield there too.

It was just a quick example, not the best possible investment. I'm not here offering investment advice, you should probably pay for that service from an expert rather than asking Sheffield Forum.

I opened an account with the Cheltenham and Gloucester. Its a 3 year account though. Pays 3.75% 1st year, 4.25% 2nd year and 4.75% 3rd year. Figures are before tax. I opened it March this year so it may not be available any more but give them a ring.

• 2 months later...
Not since they cut the prize payout, afaik, not unless you're lucky & win the jackpot. They used to be reasonable at one time. There's a calculator here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/premium-bonds#most

It's weird how things work out looking at that table. I've just bought £3500 of premium bonds, won't bother putting much more in there after looking at that :)

I think Gold and silver prices have very nearly maxed out, and with returns of around 3% I think I'd gamble on winning the premium Bonds - No intrest, no risk, thats £30,000 taken care of. With advice I look to buy some Good quality antiques in the hope that they rise in price.

Archived