What to do with £80,000 ?

From another thread;

I find the result of this poll incredible and can now see why so many people have problems managing their finances.

And from this thread.

Sorry, it's even less than that, £133 pcm (my sums were wrong).

Is that all you get, about £1000 every 6 month ? I was hoping for at least 5k a year.

If you were hoping for £5,000 net from £80,000 you're talking about 8% gross. You'd be lucky to get that. There was something on the radio yesterday or today about companies borrowing directly from individuals rather than from banks. You can lend over a 5-10 year period and get good rates if the company does well but there are risks. Another option is to invest in commodities (gold, silver, copper, etc) but again there's a risk that the prices may fall even though because of demand in Asia prices have risen dramatically in recent years.

If you want to play it safe, take up your full ISA allowance and stick the rest in bonds, but you're only talking 3% a year.

I would forget gold, shares, by to let etc unless your happy with getting less back than you put in.

I would do the following..

£5640 into a Santander cash ISA 1 year fixed 3.2% = £180

£69360 into a Cahoot 1 year fixed 3.6 (minus 20% tax if your a basic rate payer) = £1996

£5000 into a instant access account incase you need access to a small amount

lots of places pay 3% for an online instant access (post office for example) this would equal around £120 a year.

All of these pay interest annually and the above would be £2296, it is not a great amount and there is chance it could go lower still.

What are you saving for? some places offer a higher rate of savings for home buyers.

I would forget gold, shares, by to let etc unless your happy with getting less back than you put in.

I would do the following..

£5640 into a Santander cash ISA 1 year fixed 3.2% = £180

£69360 into a Cahoot 1 year fixed 3.6 (minus 20% tax if your a basic rate payer) = £1996

£5000 into a instant access account incase you need access to a small amount

lots of places pay 3% for an online instant access (post office for example) this would equal around £120 a year.

All of these pay interest annually and the above would be £2296, it is not a great amount and there is chance it could go lower still.

What are you saving for? some places offer a higher rate of savings for home buyers.

Her spending power would decrease in all stated cases.:(

Her spending power would decrease in all stated cases.:(

Yes but whats the alternative, taking risks for a higher return or sticking it under the bed and getting 0%.

It also depends what the money is for, for example in 12 months she could buy a house with the 82k which could have been falling in price over the last 12 months.

Yes but whats the alternative, taking risks for a higher return or sticking it under the bed and getting 0%.

It also depends what the money is for, for example in 12 months she could buy a house with the 82k which could have been falling in price over the last 12 months.

House prices will rise over the next year, albeit slightly and with regional variations.

The average rent for a house that price is £400-£500 pcm. I would probably have to register as a landlord, i would need to have insurance and save for any repairs, plus yearly boiler checks and any other costs. So renting just one house out is not that promising.

You have been offered some great advice as insurance etc. will be less than £500 pa if careful.This leaves a net income of £5500 nearly 7% with the prospect of gaining if prices rise.If you can beat this legally let me know and stay out of the rental market-its best left to the grown ups:hihi:

Archived