What to do with £80,000 ?

Horse Racing is only gambling if you wager money on an event with an uncertain outcome. You understand that owners and trainers make race decisions prior to the commencement of all races carried out by the jockeys right? These decisions can be made for a variety of reasons, some for the well being of a horses current condition, some for other longterm strategies. I know, it's like being told Santa isn't real all over again isn't it. As for the funds to make my grand national bets earlier this year, I don't have personal instant access savings accounts so obviously don't want to be subject to penalties.

So it's all fixed, but they share the fixing with you just so you can make a few quid. :roll:

You have no instant access accounts and couldn't predict in advance when the race was going to be run?

And no cyclone, please stop guessing, you would not go to the land registry to check on sold prices for the purposes of property investment.

Of course you wouldn't. Because they don't record the sale price of every house sale in the country. No, you'd go to the magic fairy and ask them.

And who cares about the price anyone is "asking" for a property. What has the asking price got to do with anything? How is that a good indication for an actual real comparable of what you will decide to offer?

The statistics for sale to offer price are fairly well understood area to area, so if houses aren't on sale for anything less than 100k in MK (and that's a dog of a house) then they aren't selling for anything less than 90k.

I'm sure there are a few bargains to be had at auctions and in distressed sales, but the discounts aren't that large because there's not just the one BTL speculator bidding on them.

When you jumped all over my initial post where I stated that the income would be 4 x £950 per month, £3800. That is correct. Your problem with this is that I failed to point out that there would be costs. Well duh! If readers don't realise that a buy to let property comes with costs they probably don't have £80k in the first place and if they do, they won't have it for long. The investment I highlighted offers a wonderful yield for those that buy well and carry out their own thorough due diligence. And I can see whey you're not interested in buy to let. Probably for the best.

It could offer a good return, but advising someone based in Sheffield to buy houses to let in MK is not good advice, and advising someone who hasn't said over what term they want to invest or what level of risk they're prepared to accept to buy 4 houses is equally foolish.

I'm not in the habit of giving information to those that bring nothing to the table so I suggest you contribute something of worth soon or I will lose interest in conversing with you.

You're in the habit of pretending to have information you could share. But you react badly when questioned or challenged.

I do hope you lose interest soon.

Buy a house in Florida.

Use the change to re-decorate it.

Let it out to Brits during the summer and to snowbirds between November and April.

............and manage it yourself!........don't get agents involved or you could end up with next to nothing, so not so easy!

............and manage it yourself!........don't get agents involved or you will end up with next to nothing, so not so easy!

Nothing's free. If you want somebody who lives 20 miles away from your house to be there when the renters arrive, clean it after they leave and do the laundry, then you can expect to pay them. About $25 an hour.

You would have to shop around. - Or rent to friends you can trust and have them clean the house and do the laundry before they leave.

If you buy such a house you have the option of using it yourself for a few weeks a year.

Alternatively, you could buy an apartment and rent it out long-term. You'll probably get more for your money in the US and the return might be better.

What would £80,000 buy you in Sheffield? Would you want to live in it?

It's border line buying something in Sheffield with that. You could get a more reasonable house for 100k and a modernised 3 bed terrace in Walkley for 125k.

For 80 you might get something needing doing up...

Property isn't an easy or a risk free investment though, so is it appropriate for the OP?

What would you do with £80,000 ? What is the best thing to do with it, how much interest would you get a month leaving it in a standard account and what would be the best account to stick it in for a year ? Thanks for any info.

If they're considering a 'standard account' then they probably don't want the work and risk involved in property.

What would you do with £80,000 ? What is the best thing to do with it, how much interest would you get a month leaving it in a standard account and what would be the best account to stick it in for a year ? Thanks for any info.

Thats a lot of money. I really hope you are careful with advice on an internet forum....a lot of non-experts will be on here, who might think they know what they are talking about, but don't!

e.g. someone said house prices are unlikely to fall so buy a house. However, that may not be the case in reality.

Thats a lot of money. I really hope you are careful with advice on an internet forum....a lot of non-experts will be on here, who might think they know what they are talking about, but don't!

e.g. someone said house prices are unlikely to fall so buy a house. However, that may not be the case in reality.

I suppose the real answer instead of asking on here is to go and see a financial advisor.

I suppose the real answer instead of asking on here is to go and see a financial advisor.

A lot of them work on commission, so again I'd take anything they advise you with a large pinch of salt! Apparently after the end of this year, because of this issue, they will no longer be allowed to get commissions and hence are more likely to give you the best advice.

I think the bottom line in my opinion it all boils down to how much risk you want to take if you want virtually 100% safe guaranteed income then your looking at b/s bonds paying about 4% with lock up.If you want more return then the risk factor of you losing some or all your investment increases.

Archived