Chernobyl disaster

Interestingly there are still 400 hill farms in Wales alone that still have restrictions on movement of sheep because of the radiation that came from Chernobyl.

Actually there aren't - they were lifted earlier this year.

Phew!

So it's now quite safe to eat those 26 year old lambs!

I wonder what they will taste like?

If you're looking for first-hand reports (reports from people who were actually there) I doubt you'll find many in Sheffield There are, however, plenty of reports on the internet - including the stories of some amazingly brave people who knew they were going to die an extremely unpleasant death, yet volunteered anyway.

If you're looking for the reactions of the British people, they too are probably recorded - but the people who were saying: "The radiation is coming! We're all doomed! We're all going to die! Don't eat Welsh lamb unless you want to glow in the dark! " May well be too embarrassed to stand up and be counted.

No people's view of it from Sheffield..your totally missing the point, it didn't just affect Ukraine, it affected everyone

Building any atomic facility in an area highly prone to quakes is a high risk in itself. The Japanese are the top of the class when it comes to quake technology but that doesn't necessarily mean that a major quake wont cause catastrophic and potentially deadly damage.

Chernobyl was caused by sloppy maintenance and poor design which was nothing unusual during the Soviet days. Even their nuke subs were death traps.

The San Onofre, California nuclear power plant has been in the news lately. Very possibly being decommissioned in the not too distant future

No people's view of it from Sheffield..your totally missing the point, it didn't just affect Ukraine, it affected everyone

I don't think I'm the one who is missing the point.

If you want to know what people's views were at the time, then you would be better off researching the records of that time.

There was no Internet, but there is no shortage of records, statements and commentaries - many of which are now on the Internet.

It's surprising (well, it isn't really ;)) that people's views - or their recollection of their views - change with time.

There was no shortage of doom-mongers who said;"We're all going to die!" but I doubt you'll get many who will admit to that nowadays.

Do you really think that data you recover today from people who have lived 26 years since the event (and had 26 years to refine their opinions) is going to be of much use?

Hindisght is usually extremely clear.

If you want to know what people's views were at the time, then you would be better off researching the records of that time.

There was no Internet, but there is no shortage of records, statements and commentaries - many of which are now on the Internet.

It's surprising (well, it isn't really ;)) that people's views - or their recollection of their views - change with time.

There was no shortage of doom-mongers who said;"We're all going to die!" but I doubt you'll get many who will admit to that nowadays.

Do you really think that data you recover today from people who have lived 26 years since the event (and had 26 years to refine their opinions) is going to be of much use?

My sister who was still living in England at the time said thet the dust from the explosion covered everything. Didnt do her or her family any harm. Still alive and healthy as horses

Yes I do think people's story's of the days when it happened would be still some use. People tend to remember major things that happen. Like for example I can remember the day princess Diana died and I also remember the day of 9/11...i was born in 1983 so I have no knowledge of 1986

Yes I do think people's story's of the days when it happened would be still some use. People tend to remember major things that happen. Like for example I can remember the day princess Diana died and I also remember the day of 9/11.

I can remember it happening very clearly. You seem to be quite young, so you might find the next bit difficult to comprehend: My major recollection is that the news was very slow to leak out. It took days, if not weeks, to establish exactly what was going on. Very different to nowadays.

My sister who was still living in England at the time said thet the dust from the explosion covered everything. Didnt do her or her family any harm. Still alive and healthy as horses

I don't think that is true, they said it didn't quite reach britain...but even if it did, you wouldn't have seen any dust

i'm not sure that there were that many doom-mongers, we seemed less prone to hysteria then than we are now.

i'm sure there were a few but i don't recall anyone specific.

mind you, at that time we were living with the possibility that a nuclear war between nato and the old ussr might actually happen which i suppose kept everything in perspective

Archived