Chernobyl disaster

Did I suggest that you were attacking nuclear plants (Post #63) before or after you wrote: "...Messing with atoms is like messing with god himself, it is dangerous ..."(Post #56)?

(I'll give you a clue. '56' comes before '63'.)

That is when you took it off topic, I said that....you took it off topic from the beginning rupert...

The Chernobyl disaster was a huge nuclear accident that happened in Ukraine in 1986 which also affected much part of Europe.. Even today it's not Safe to live in Chernobyl, some experts say it might never be safe to ever live there again.

Anyone remember the days

Was you scared?

Would like people's own take on the day of April 1986 please if anyone would like to submit them...

Also feel free to discuss the Chernobyl disaster itself...

People have frozen to death through lack of heating, too.

Nuclear power stations prevent a lot of people from doing that.

Chernobyl was a disaster, but the reasons for that disaster are well-known and well-understood.

Hopefully, all the countries which use nuclear power learned something from Chernobyl. I doubt that any act in a reckless manner.

There will (almost certainly) be another nuclear disaster - there was one last year in Japan - but if you (or anybody) thinks that's a good enough reason to ban nuclear power, help the rest of us by turning everything off, not using any electricity and not using anything which has been made or transported using electricity.

Agony never started out by suggesting the banning of nuclear plants..you did that.

Fair comment Ron .

I was (probably) reading into Agony's initial post something that wasn't there.

.. .Sorry, Agony.

(And feeling somewhat grumpy:mad: ... but that has nothing to do with the subject, or the forum.)

It's okay rupert...at least someone pointed it out in the end...

I wonder what other advice the government could have given?

"Stay inside, keep your windows shut and wash any fresh food you eat" is probably all you could do.

Had there been an imminent (and significant) risk of I131 poisoning, then presumably the government would have handed out Iodine to people, (so that they could pre-load their thyroid glands with non-radioactive iodine.)

Iodine doesn't stay in your body for more than a few days (and I131 is used in the treatment of hypertyroidism) so presumably the threat was not considered to be sufficiently serious to issue it.

I remember the news clips of the guys going into the reactot knowing full well they were going to do and I remember the guidance we got in the UK - close your windows. Great!

I'm not sure what else you expected them to do - it was the correct advice after all. There was no need to wash veg, although that was a good idea regardless, there was no real danger outside due to the distance we were from the reactor.

I remember the news clips of the guys going into the reactot knowing full well they were going to do and I remember the guidance we got in the UK - close your windows. Great!

Yes the workers were receiving 5.6 rtg a second in some areas and a lethal dose is 500 rtg, and it involved half a million people do put it right

Archived