Chernobyl disaster

Wasn't there a story about one man in one of the teams who went in (4mins allotted time each man I think) 4 or 5 times? wearing large heavy gloves and aprons, lead most likely.

Yes soldiers were given 4 minutes each per shift to shovel as much hazardous waste as possible though the equipment they wore was meaningless,it had very little or no protection at all. One superviser on the night shift stayed at work all night with his team trying to pump enough water to cool it down. He died two weeks later. They initially tried to put the blame on him. For your story on someone volunteering five times more than likely might have been true. Alot were Russian soldiers who bore the brunt with Belarus being the country that has suffered most since the disaster.

Where the four minutes shift took place was the most hazardous area so if they were getting hit by 5 rts a second, they would have had the lethal dose in the four minutes they were on shift with 500 rts being a lethal dose...plus the people who were emptying soil from under the plant to fill it with concrete

Yes soldiers were given 4 minutes each per shift to shovel as much hazardous waste as possible though the equipment they wore was meaningless,it had very little or no protection at all. One superviser on the night shift stayed at work all night with his team trying to pump enough water to cool it down. He died two weeks later. They initially tried to put the blame on him. For your story on someone volunteering five times more than likely might have been true. Alot were Russian soldiers who bore the brunt with Belarus being the country that has suffered most since the disaster.

I've tried to find a link but not having much joy. Ready to be corrected but the 4 minute allotted time had nothing to do with being exposed to rts, it was purely the weight of the protection they were wearing. I'm not sure safety was their prime concern.

Just drop the bomb and end it already.

At least we will get rid of all the lefty arseholes that poured disdain on the Govt"s well thought out "Protect and Survive" pamphlets. While you lot were out protesting and blocking rail transports of nuclear material to Windscale, we were building shelters out of unwanted doors and empty Weetabix boxes that we meant to bring round to the recycling but never bothered with. Frankly, I have more of a problem getting rid of used wine bottles.

Forums poster "Agony", do you want to have a serious discussion about nuclear power ?

I've tried to find a link but not having much joy. Ready to be corrected but the 4 minute allotted time had nothing to do with being exposed to rts, it was purely the weight of the protection they were wearing. I'm not sure safety was their prime concern.

Yes it was due to levels of rts, they wore no protection at all, basically it was a boiler suit but very thin, the gloves of course would have been better than no gloves but still they weren't efficient for the job...

Just drop the bomb and end it already.

At least we will get rid of all the lefty arseholes that poured disdain on the Govt"s well thought out "Protect and Survive" pamphlets. While you lot were out protesting and blocking rail transports of nuclear material to Windscale, we were building shelters out of unwanted doors and empty Weetabix boxes that we meant to bring round to the recycling but never bothered with. Frankly, I have more of a problem getting rid of used wine bottles.

Forums poster "Agony", do you want to have a serious discussion about nuclear power ?

I'm not talking about nuclear power in general, just chernobyl...i had this conversation earlier if you read all the thread.....ive never once said I'm against nuclear power

Archived