How can this be a life sentence

So , how many murderers who were hung went on to do it again?

If you cannot thunk of any; then I would strongly suggest that it is the ultimate deterrent,;)

Do you understand the meaning of 'deterrent' as opposed to 'punishment'?

It is the ultimate punishment.

Read my lips: It does not deter because people still kill each other.

Clearly he doesn't - a brief look across at the rather long death row tells you it ain't much of a deterrent. But life should mean life. How many given a life sentance of say 15 years do 15 years ? Ive no idea but Most will out in half of that and you would need to be in bother every other day or kill someone to do the full stretch.

It is very definitely a deterrent for the murderer . How many hung murderers went on to do it again?:)

It is very definitely a deterrent for the murderer . How many hung murderers went on to do it again?:)

de·ter·rent/diˈtərənt/

Noun:

A thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from some act.

The fact that they were hung for committing said act would imply that it didn't exactly discourage them from committing it... therefore it wasn't a deterrent!

So , how many murderers who were hung went on to do it again?

If you cannot thunk of any; then I would strongly suggest that it is the ultimate deterrent,;)

Surely if it was the ultimate deterrent they wouldn't have killed in the first place?

Clearly he doesn't - a brief look across at the rather long death row tells you it ain't much of a deterrent. But life should mean life. How many given a life sentance of say 15 years do 15 years ? Ive no idea but Most will out in half of that and you would need to be in bother every other day or kill someone to do the full stretch.

Nobody is given 'a life sentence of 15 years'.

A life sentence is just that. A life sentence.

The judge can (and does) set a minimum (and the parole board would have to have a pretty good reason to ignore that.)

The example you are quoting sounds like a life sentence, with a tariff of 15 years. - The individual is sentenced to life imprisonment and will not even be considered for release until (s)he has served 15 years.

If (s)he is released after 15 years (or often longer - the parole board aren't required to grant parole the first time an inmate applies for it) and (s)he then commits any offence - even a minor offence - that person can be recalled to serve the remainder of his or her sentence.

Murderers have a very low re-offending rate. - Unlike those who commit many other crimes.

Rupert there aren't many that were hung in error, I know Ruth Ellis, Derek Bentley, they argued James Hanratty, but his guilt was proved due to DNA in 2002.

I know that these are the high profile cases & there could have been more ...

Don't forget the people who were given life sentences for murder and subsequently had their convictions quashed.

Wayne Darvell 1986

Paul Darvell 1986

Rowe....)

Davis....) M25 3 1990

Johnson.)

Johnathan Jones 1995

Sheila Bowler 1993

3 of the UDR 4 1983

Stefan Kiszko 1976

If the UK still had the death penalty, you could add those names to the list.

Archived