First oil change

hi there, just a quick question, i have always had used cars until the one ive had just a few week, i had just got a seat leon brand new fitted with a turbo engine and i got told to bring it back at 10k for its first service but everyone who ive talked to says 10k is alot for a brand new engine to wait for its first oil change. is this correct or do i need to be pushing my dealer for a quicker service

FACTS:

car only has 480 miles on clock

first 3 years worth of servicing is included with the car (are they avoiding one to save costs)

also im lucky to get 30mpg atm which is heavy on the pocket

it more out of curiosity, all services are free for first 3 years (they offered me little things like that to stop me going next door and buying a golf gti instead) just a couple of mates have said there will be bits of metal in my oil with it been new and they think 1k rather than 10k for first oil change

it more out of curiosity, all services are free for first 3 years (they offered me little things like that to stop me going next door and buying a golf gti instead) just a couple of mates have said there will be bits of metal in my oil with it been new and they think 1k rather than 10k for first oil change

From experience I doubt there will be an oil change. Why would there be any bits of metal in it?

EDIT: Just realised it's a Seat, there may or may not be an oil change involved, it should tell you in the service book.

From experience I doubt there will be an oil change. Why would there be any bits of metal in it?EDIT: Just realised it's a Seat, there may or may not be an oil change involved, it should tell you in the service book.

Miztasee is doing the right thing to question the 10k first service even if this is now normal on modern cars. When I bought a new car 20 years ago the first service was indeed 500 miles mainly because of the very tiny particles from a "new" engine first being run, and secondly to check & tighten anything. Maybe now the engines are run in the factory and the oil changed at that point, or maybe there is other technology in place to cater for this.

There was a time when brand new cars had a "running in" oil in them & the owner took it back after about 500 miles to have a oil & filter change with normal oil installed. That's not always the case these days, but you could always make enquiries with the dealer !

As Shand says^ this is exactly as it used to be. Ring a different Seat dealer to where you bought the car from and ask the question? If they also tell you 10k, ask for a proper explanation as to why things have changed from 500 miles, or even speak with someone from the service dept as opposed to a sales person. If still not conviced, write to Seat head office.

hi there, just a quick question, i have always had used cars until the one ive had just a few week, i had just got a seat leon brand new fitted with a turbo engine and i got told to bring it back at 10k for its first service but everyone who ive talked to says 10k is alot for a brand new engine to wait for its first oil change. is this correct or do i need to be pushing my dealer for a quicker service

FACTS:

car only has 480 miles on clock

first 3 years worth of servicing is included with the car (are they avoiding one to save costs)

also im lucky to get 30mpg atm which is heavy on the pocket

It would normally be 10K to 20K or a year which ever happens the soonest, it can take several years for some motorist to reach the mileage for the first service which is why they also say it should be serviced yearly, there are some cars that are service every 24 months or 20K which ever come soonest. It’s a long time since I had to take a car back for a 500 - 1000 miles service. Precision engineering means all the parts fit better so the service intervals are longer.

Miztasee is doing the right thing to question the 10k first service even if this is now normal on modern cars. When I bought a new car 20 years ago the first service was indeed 500 miles mainly because of the very tiny particles from a "new" engine first being run, and secondly to check & tighten anything. Maybe now the engines are run in the factory and the oil changed at that point, or maybe there is other technology in place to cater for this.

I haven't said he SHOULDN'T question it. I'm also well aware that many moons ago cars were sold with running-in oil in the engines. Since those days though, motor vehicle technology has advanced a little.

As Shand says^ this is exactly as it used to be. Ring a different Seat dealer to where you bought the car from and ask the question? If they also tell you 10k, ask for a proper explanation as to why things have changed from 500 miles, or even speak with someone from the service dept as opposed to a sales person. If still not conviced, write to Seat head office.
Or he could look in the service book that comes with the vehicle.

My Mk5 golf which is a VAG car and SEAT is part of that group. My car is 10k intrim and 20k full or once a year depending on use. Now this is a 8 year old car still pulling 60mpg which I full service anyways at 10k ( twice a year for me ).

So your new car should be about the same would it not ?

Archived