First oil change

I'm also in the camp who thinks a diesel oil change should be done every 6000 miles.

This has been proven to be better for Peugeot diesel engines, yet they still recommend 10,000 miles (and in one car's case - 16,000 miles).

The thing is, you probably won't be the one with the problems further down the line when the warranty expires and is starting to exhibit problems.

When it comes to diesels and their maintenance, I wouldn't trust a dealer as far as I could throw them - did they explain the DPF when selling the car, or the suitability of a diesel for a local run-around? I bet they didn't.

And when it comes to problem time around 50-60k miles. I bet they recommend a completely new DPF at around £500 to £1000, when the life can be extended by simply removing and cleaning it.

BMW have service intervals as long as 25k for their diesels. Some truck engines are every 75k for changes.

Oil has become a lot better at lasting a long time compared to 20 years ago - engines that used oil with a 6000 mile change, can now eaisly run 18k with a modern oil.

You actually want some wear on an engine to bed things in - most engines these days are tight and fuel economy is poor due to the pistons/rings not being bedded in. I'd drive it gently for the first 1-2k and then normally to the first 10k oil change.

Oil has become a lot better at lasting a long time compared to 20 years ago - engines that used oil with a 6000 mile change, can now eaisly run 18k with a modern oil.

Considering how the oil turbo feed pipe can get gummed up, and the strict specification of particular type of semi synthetic oil I'd say the complete opposite.

Diesels - particularly cars - are far more complicated than they used to be and they need regular frequent changes to prevent the emissions system from going wrong.

Considering how the oil turbo feed pipe can get gummed up, and the strict specification of particular type of semi synthetic oil I'd say the complete opposite.

Diesels - particularly cars - are far more complicated than they used to be and they need regular frequent changes to prevent the emissions system from going wrong.

I'm sorry but the evidence of many vehicles with oil changes in the 20k range with no emission problems says otherwise. Oils have become far better with much better additive packages that resist degradation for a lot longer. Oil analysis shows what state the oil is in, and modern oils degenerate at a far slower rate than older ones, hence you can and manufacturers do run them for longer. There is no reason to change them more frequently to stop the emissions systems from going wrong.

ive done what a couple have said ive rang a different seat dealer who confirms 10k is correct but no longer than 12 months, its the petrol 2.0 tsi cupra that ive got, finally giving approx 35-38mpg if driven like a green peace rep, dont think ill keep it that long maybe 1-2years depending on what the new leon next year is like

I'm sorry but the evidence of many vehicles with oil changes in the 20k range with no emission problems says otherwise. Oils have become far better with much better additive packages that resist degradation for a lot longer. Oil analysis shows what state the oil is in, and modern oils degenerate at a far slower rate than older ones, hence you can and manufacturers do run them for longer. There is no reason to change them more frequently to stop the emissions systems from going wrong.

That maybe so (incidentally which "evidence"?) , but that's not what diesel owners do. Check out any car forum and you won't catch anyone leaving the oil for such a long time.

Not to mention the disappearance of anti-pollution faults and improved MPG and smoother running from a regular oil change.

Like I said, the dealers and their cosy tie in with oil manufacturers may say long intervals, but its in their interests when they can make a fortune from diagnostics and repairs.

Two forums I'm involved with must be talking rubbish. Or perhaps you haven't seen them?

The evidence is that gathered from oil analysis performed by myself and others, but what do I know, I mean I'm guessing and shooting my mouth right? Not that I've run engines to a half million miles, not that I've ever actually tested anything... So what "pollutions faults" and "smooth running" are these. Have they been measured? Actually checked the NVH or are we just talking about the placebo effect from changing the oil?

ive done what a couple have said ive rang a different seat dealer who confirms 10k is correct but no longer than 12 months, its the petrol 2.0 tsi cupra that ive got, finally giving approx 35-38mpg if driven like a green peace rep, dont think ill keep it that long maybe 1-2years depending on what the new leon next year is like

Regarding fuel consumption, is this the 265PS model? Trying to find the official consumption of that car on the SEAT website (with great difficulty) but it could be 34.9 on the Extra Urban cycle. Have you got the brochure and what does that say regarding fuel consumption?

yeah the seat site is rather useless, it is the 265ps version my son destroyed the brochure, and the manual has every bit of information bar mpg in tech specs, but ive found out that 34.9 is the correct figure, so its actually doing quite well, i could get 38-40 mpg out of my old 20v turbo cupra all day long if driven liberal. i actually contemplated getting a ecomotive diesel for a while but there abit slow and not really that "eco" but got offered a pre registered cupra with 85miles on clock for a little over 22k so took that

Archived