First oil change

I don't think they need to, judging from the comments on here people are quite able to scare themselves into spending a pile more money without the help of the oil companies.

Aww, has somebody got the face on just because many people don't agree with you?

Maybe a 6000 mile oil change is a placebo, maybe it isn't (the consensus is going with "isn't" which obviously bothers you). But now diesels are complicated beasts with expensive parts and repair bills i'd rather go with a preventative maintenance program.

Aww, has somebody got the face on just because many people don't agree with you?

Maybe a 6000 mile oil change is a placebo, maybe it isn't (the consensus is going with "isn't" which obviously bothers you). But now diesels are complicated beasts with expensive parts and repair bills i'd rather go with a preventative maintenance program.

I think the 6000 mile oil changes are worth doing and do it myself, maybe a read of this will give people an understanding of why people do them= http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html

And that comment could be equally applied to you as well, except I'm not that childish.

Me no. If you want to spend, ie waste your money then I'm sure you can. If you are going to advise others to waste money they don't have expect to get called on it, especially when the science and evidence say plum opposite what you are saying.

If you are going to advise others to waste money they don't have expect to get called on it, especially when the science and evidence say plum opposite what you are saying.

What "science and evidence"? I've been working on diesels since 1996 and seen lots of changes to engine setup and design in that time and seen frequent oil changes are only good for a car, especially on modern diesels which only do local driving.

And I'd rather take the evidence from a car in front of me than "science and evidence" from a lab. The same labs who claim that a car will do xx MPG when in reality it won't. Or the same labs where car manufacturers recommend only Total fuel and oil.

Perhaps you never saw that Watchdog episode with the owners with DPF faults and not being told by the dealers about the unsuitability of a diesel car for town driving?

The oil may last for 10,000 or more miles, but the filter won't, and an oil full of crap going round your engine is going to do it no good whatsover.

Most people on here have supported 6000 mile changes, but you:

A) don't seem to like that and

B) Are only attacking me for it.

In the US, oil changes are routine at 5000 miles. Are you going to say that the whole of the US is wrong also?

What "science and evidence"? I've been working on diesels since 1996 and seen lots of changes to engine setup and design in that time and seen frequent oil changes are only good for a car, especially on modern diesels which only do local driving.

Perhaps you never saw that Watchdog episode with the owners with DPF faults and not being told by the dealers about the unsuitability of a diesel car for town driving?

That's nothing to do with oil life though - that's a different part of the engine and changing the oil every trip would have no effect on that problem whatsoever.

Most people on here have supported 6000 mile changes, but you:

A) don't seem to like that and

No because it's unnecessary

B) Are only attacking me for it.

In the same way you are the only one "attacking" me?

In the US, oil changes are routine at 5000 miles. Are you going to say that the whole of the US is wrong also?

Yes. Take a look here

http://www.checkyournumber.org/about/about-check-your-number/

http://theweek.com/article/index/207073/the-3000-mile-oil-change-myth

The 3000 or 5000 mile myth is driven by misinformed habits that older drivers pass on as gospel and "truth" to younger drivers. As a result oil is changed frequently, so the oil used, or rather offered for sale has poor additive packages - an API SL-N oil for example has a much poorer additive packages than the "equivalent" Euro ones such as ACEA A3/B3. Hence they swap oils sooner than is needed.

Oil from the early 1990s in the UK didn't have good additive packages for long life (they were good for wear protection but that's not the same thing). So you could take an engine in the early/mid 1990's and it would run for perhaps 5000 to 7500 miles before the oil package was depleted and the TBN was getting towards exhaustion. Take the same engine, use a modern long life oil and that oil will stay in grade, and with sufficient TBN in reserve for perhaps 15,000 miles. There is no magic to this, it's just that we have markedly better oil in the last decade. These oils have been used for many years in large industrial plant and trucks, where oil changes of perhaps 75,000 miles are not uncommon - the oil is basically sampled and analysed and then swapped when needed.

If you want to see the numbers on this from my own vehicles I can dig them out for you, but simply saying, "engines are more complex change the oil more frequently" is just speculation. It's never going to hurt of course, but it will cost a lot of money to do so, especially if you don't do it yourself.

edit: you added "The oil may last for 10,000 or more miles, but the filter won't, and an oil full of crap going round your engine is going to do it no good whatsover."

The filter certainly will last that long - BMW and Audi have run filters that will do that for the last 20 years, Ford have been doing it for the last 15 years. I pull filters out of my 5 series at 15k that never show any sign of breakup or degradation - not a huge sample to be sure but it's never even been mooted as a problem before.

The point I'm trying to get across is that you seem to think that manufacturers know best.

But the owners are the real guinea pigs and real world driving doesn't reflect the brief test conditions of the factory, and its in their financial interest not to disclose operating problems 3,5,7 years down the line, with the exception of a safety recall.

Take the shared Peugeot - Ford diesel engine. Ford recommend an oil change every 7500 miles. Peugeot recommend 10,000 miles in one car, but 16,000 in another. This

is the exact same diesel engine.

And without fail, its the one with the 16,000 mile interval that suffers from repeated turbo failure with oil starvation being the primary cause.

Did you know that Peugeot don't even put the turbo oil feed pipe filter on any of their services? They'll happily charge you £300 a time and throw a turbo in and not mention a peep about how to prevent it happening again.

Same with the DPF, they'll charge up to £1000 to replace it but won't tell you that the life of it can be prolonged.

And staying with Peugeot, the new shape 207 and 307 suffer from a brake switch fault. Its a very common fault and Peugeot have released an uprated wiring loom for it. But they didn't bother to let their customers know, or make any offer to replace it.

So people get the fault, take it to a local garage who sticks on a generic code reader, gets the P1536 fault and then goes to Euro Car Parts or the equivalent to pick up a replacement switch for £6, which doesn't sort out the problem.

And now the 207 is showing signs of a major ABS fault, that's only begun to show after 3 years on the road. If you've had the car from new from Peugeot you might get it done FOC if you pressure them. But the second owner is screwed.

The result is you have frustrated owner, a garage who've shrugged their shoulders because they've changed the switch and aren't privvy to the Peugeot information (its not even on Autodata), and an increased bad reputation for Peugeot and their electrics.

So you can cite whatever articles you want, but I'll go with the cars and people I deal with every day and real life, on the British road experience, of which I have many years.

Archived