The first day of Christmas. 18th August.. NO NO NO

18th August and kids are still on their summer break. Why has the Chequers at Coal Aston already errected a Christmas tree and are putting up Christmas decorations. Is this the first in our area? Is this too soon?

YES IT IS.

merry christmas!!

18th August and kids are still on their summer break. Why has the Chequers at Coal Aston already errected a Christmas tree and are putting up Christmas decorations. Is this the first in our area? Is this too soon?

YES IT IS.

That's nothing, earlier this year (January) there were massive sales on Christmas junk EVERYWHERE, a whole 12 months early!

Shops should be banned from selling or displaying anything to do with Christmas till December 1st

I agree. I'm glad that the OP has mentioned that Chequers at Coal Aston is guilty of this, I now know to avoid the place.

I personally don't like Christmas and the lead up to it is horrible. A lot of people I talk to feel the same and end up getting stressed out and depressed by the whole experience; and most are aware that even though they hate it, just go along with it.

It would be so nice that in an act of solidarity people would, in mass refuse to shop at stores which 'tinselled up' before December 1st. Pehaps retailers would then think twice.:)

It would be so nice that in an act of solidarity people would, in mass refuse to shop at stores which 'tinselled up' before December 1st. Pehaps retailers would then think twice.:)

Some people love Christmas though! I think most people I know love it too. People need to learn to just relax and have fun, I can't see how its a stressful time at all. Even buying gifts is nice if you know what you're buying people, I make lists of things that I know people want for a few months before and then just go and buy those things. I'm in and out of the shop quickly and then I can enjoy browsing after that for stocking fillers.

I'd rather a shop be festive, than boring. I love going to Christmas markets. And I've usually done all my shopping by October/November so then I've got over a month to enjoy winter walks and hot chocolates.

Its as stressful as you make it. Personally, I'd love it if Christmas was year round.

Archived