I've been listening to the smiths

I've been listening to a lot of the smiths tonight and it struck me that a lot of what morrissey is singing about kind of applies to me.

i kind of feel lonely and unhappy a lot of the time and i kind of think it'd be good to meet people who feel the same cos it can't just be me that feels like this can it!?

anyway iv'e looked at all the groups etc and nothing really applies to me so i thought i'd post this and see if anybody else knows where im coming from. thanks

I've been listening to a lot of the smiths tonight and it struck me that a lot of what morrissey is singing about kind of applies to me.

i kind of feel lonely and unhappy a lot of the time and i kind of think it'd be good to meet people who feel the same cos it can't just be me that feels like this can it!?

anyway iv'e looked at all the groups etc and nothing really applies to me so i thought i'd post this and see if anybody else knows where im coming from. thanks

I love The Smiths as well. Only problem the peeps like us never get a real fit lady. Unless you like fat ones. I know.

morrissey is quintessentially english (irish i know...but...) his soul is full of soot covered victorian architecture.

don't take him too-too seriously. he's really a very funny guy. see and embrace the humour.

i have a very hot/fit wife.(fact).

"...and when i die i want to go to hell". still listening since "reel around the fountain" days.

see note above about embracing the humour.

The Smiths and particularly their 1987 album Strangeways, Here We Come formed the soundtrack to my youth. At that time I stood a good chance of finally getting off with a particular female I had fancied since 1981. But I was shy and insecure and couldn't read the situation, couldn't read the signs this particular girl was giving me.

I'd end up back at home feeling rejected and dejected. I'd put Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me on and realise I wasn't alone. I'd feel a little bit better and then a song like Unhappy Birthday would turn my tears of sadness into uncontrollable laughter.

Morrissey's longing, pining, I'm-so-alone still stand out as works of art: Never Had No-One Ever, Will Never Marry, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want; but these are balanced with songs so full of humour: Miserable Lie, Sweet And Tender Hooligan, Vicar In A Tutu and Frankly, Mr Shankly.

I was 18 in 1987 and when Morrissey sung 'No hope, no harm, just another false alarm,' on Last Night I Dreamt..., it could have been me speaking. Strangeways also closes with I Won't Share You and I recall thinking that if and when I get my girl, I'll never have to share her for she'll be mine!

Alas, life's not so straight forward.

I've got a theory that when he gets home and nobody is looking theres nothing Morrissey likes better then to relax by watching Disney films while eating a massive steak. Then afterwards he sings along to Doris Day albums and takes massive amounts of MDMA and gets out his decks and DJ's the night away.

I am a huge smiths and morrissey fan and have nearly everything he has ever done.

He is a great writer,many people including me can relate to his lyrics in their own life and they are often very funny "sweetness I was only joking when I said by rights you should be blugeoned in your bed" :).

Thic combined with his incredibly catchy tunes make him stand way above most artists.

Having said that he is far from a perfect individual and I find things like his well publicised hatered of America yet he chose to live in well to do LA for years more than a little hypocritical.

I saw him this month in manchester one of his few uk dates and along with many others felt a little short changed he played mostly his dark slower stuff I was not expecting a greatest hit concert but frankly some of the stuff he played was better left on his albums not concert material and he played some ancient and shocking abattoir footage in the middle of meat is murder which was a bit of a mood killer :)

But at the end of the day thats morrissey for you and we still love him for all his faults.

"There's a pub where you want to go.

You could meet somebody who really loves you.

So you go and you stand on your own.

And you leave on your own, and you go home and you cry and you want to die..."

That has to be about the most evocative piece of literature ever written in the English language. It like the English blues. But I've always found The Smiths to be uplifting in a way. I think it is the relentless humour. Far wittier than Madness or The Divine Comedy.

Frankly, Mr Shankly for me every time.

Morrisey is a miserable git who thinks he is above himself. The Smiths were a great band (not to my liking though) but I think Johnny Marr deserves more credit than Morrisey.

I do wish Morrisey would lock himself in a dark room and never come out again.

Try listening to something a little more upbeat. You'll never cheer up listening to Morrisey.

Archived