I've been listening to the smiths

"There's a pub where you want to go.

You could meet somebody who really loves you.

So you go and you stand on your own.

And you leave on your own, and you go home and you cry and you want to die..."

That has to be about the most evocative piece of literature ever written in the English language. It like the English blues. But I've always found The Smiths to be uplifting in a way. I think it is the relentless humour. Far wittier than Madness or The Divine Comedy.

Frankly, Mr Shankly for me every time.

I never knew that you wrote poetry

I never knew you wrote such bloody awful poetry

ohh give us your money

:)

I think his music was described by someone famous as "wrist slashing music" and his boring monotonous tones do it justice.

Definitely music to give a miss when feeling low.

A bit like a Chris Rea album I bought once. Soooo depressing, I think it came with free razor blades!

Anyone who says the Smiths were "wrist slashing music" simply weren't listening Morrissey wrote some of the warmest,most humourous lyrics ever recorded in my opinion although pushed close by Paul Weller ,Ray Davies and The Specials he is the greatest lyricist we have ever had although some of his lines were plagarised from the likes of John Fowles and Shelagh Delaney the way he incorporated them into The Smiths songs made them in my opinion the greatest British band ever and certainly made my teenage years more bearable.

Archived