I've been listening to the smiths

What about John Grant. That is beautiful and sad music. I like the Neil Young song from the Harvest moon album ' I've seen the needle and the damage done' another beautiful song. John Grant turned his life around. Simon Armitage poetry talks about the darker side, he has a poem called The Hard'

I quite like John Grant I'm going to see him next week.

The Smiths and particularly their 1987 album Strangeways, Here We Come formed the soundtrack to my youth. At that time I stood a good chance of finally getting off with a particular female I had fancied since 1981. But I was shy and insecure and couldn't read the situation, couldn't read the signs this particular girl was giving me.

I'd end up back at home feeling rejected and dejected. I'd put Last Night I Dreamt Somebody Loved Me on and realise I wasn't alone. I'd feel a little bit better and then a song like Unhappy Birthday would turn my tears of sadness into uncontrollable laughter.

Morrissey's longing, pining, I'm-so-alone still stand out as works of art: Never Had No-One Ever, Will Never Marry, Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want; but these are balanced with songs so full of humour: Miserable Lie, Sweet And Tender Hooligan, Vicar In A Tutu and Frankly, Mr Shankly.

I was 18 in 1987 and when Morrissey sung 'No hope, no harm, just another false alarm,' on Last Night I Dreamt..., it could have been me speaking. Strangeways also closes with I Won't Share You and I recall thinking that if and when I get my girl, I'll never have to share her for she'll be mine!

Alas, life's not so straight forward.

Really odd this. You are MASSIVE Smiths fan and a Tory? What's that all about?

Morrissey and Leonard Cohen - music to commit suicide to

Come come!

"

" (the video is crap, but the sound is good ;))

Lenny Cohen ...that was youth.:)

(Along with

[introduced by an ex-girlfriend's cousin] and

That's not 'wrist cutting music'- that's reminiscences of youth. :hihi::hihi:

- If you want 'razorblade music' try something along the lines of:

"

."

Really odd this. You are MASSIVE Smiths fan and a Tory? What's that all about?

I tried to resist the Smiths but I had to give in and that moment was when they released Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now in the summer of 1984.

I imagine that politically, Morrissey and I are worlds apart but then, like many of Mozza's comments and lyrics, maybe we are not. He is very ambiguous and writes - or claims to write - in the third person, detaching certain comments from those one would normally attribute to himself.

I am a supporter of the Royal Family but cannot help but laugh at the lyrics to The Queen Is Dead. I believe Thatcher was the best post-war Prime Minister this country ever had but crease up at Margaret On The Guillotine. What precisely is Morrissey saying - or on whose behalf - in songs like Asain Rut, Brngali in Platforms and The National Front Disco? These don't come across as left-wing lyrics; quite the opposite.

Sadly, Morrissey's made himself look a fool with recent comments aimed at the Olympics and Royal Family but this does not overshadow the fact that he has written some of the best songs since Lennon and McCartney.

Talking of whom, in Lennon's case, songs about Working Class Heroes and imagining no possessions whilst sitting in a millionaire's mansion - his own - illustrates just how songwriters can write from an angle that isn't a true reflection of what they actually believe.

Finally, for someone who doesn't believe in God, have you counted how many times Jesus has been mentioned in Smiths and Morrissey songs? 'Many a truth is spoken in jest?'

Archived