Is Parking on a footway illegal?

I walk past that many times and almost always see cars vans etc. Some cars display a bluebadge so there many other notices.Further down past the Co Op ther is a similar configuration with a parking meter.

So I'm not the only one who thinks / thought it was ok to park there. A little further down is a sort of bay (I think it's loading only) marked with double yellow lines and that was full of blue badged cars.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff198/petemorris999/009.jpg

But what gets me, is why did you take the photo? "Just incase" such a thing happened?

That alone says to me you weren't sure wether or not you could park there, and it also looks like it's part of the Cycle Path route too...

Totally agree .. And it's types like you that park half on and half off a pavement and we with mobility scooters have to go onto the main road to get round you. You deserve the blummin fine

Plenty of folk park on footpaths I was just the same for 30 years! I am only noticing it now because of riding me scooter.

.. And damn annoying isn't it? Especially when you have to go onto a busy main road to get past said car.

Totally agree .. And it's types like you that park half on and half off a pavement and we with mobility scooters have to go onto the main road to get round you. You deserve the blummin fine

Ummmm...did you actually look at the picture?...There was plenty of room for any mobility scooter or anything else to pass...Don't be so melodramatic!

I've never really understood this double yellow. I think the bit where you parked is a permit parking bay, the reason it is paved differently, as shown on google maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.405038,-1.504018&spn=0.00027,0.00071&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.405038,-1.504018&panoid=5tfWUdfP1Bu7NQQoqOCRFg&cbp=12,104.76,,2,5.82

Though I find parking such as this reprehensible, and think you should pay the fine, potentially the ticket was incorrectly issued and suggests either the line is inappropriate of the verge rule does not always apply. Added to which the line is continuous into to the loading bay and so the restriction on that line (if it is signed anywhere, this is all I can see on google) then the restriction cannot be 'no waiting at any time'.

I've never really understood this double yellow. I think the bit where you parked is a permit parking bay, the reason it is paved differently, as shown on google maps:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.405038,-1.504018&spn=0.00027,0.00071&t=h&z=21&layer=c&cbll=53.405038,-1.504018&panoid=5tfWUdfP1Bu7NQQoqOCRFg&cbp=12,104.76,,2,5.82

Though I find parking such as this reprehensible, and think you should pay the fine, potentially the ticket was incorrectly issued and suggests either the line is inappropriate of the verge rule does not always apply. Added to which the line is continuous into to the loading bay and so the restriction on that line (if it is signed anywhere, this is all I can see on google) then the restriction cannot be 'no waiting at any time'.

I checked when I received the ticket. The nearest sign is probably 50 to 60 yards further down the hill. I do have a picture of where it is in relation to my car (only took after I got back to my car). Truth be told, I only parked there because I was going to the boot sale on the Sunday. Someone else was parked in front of my vehicle, and I thought it must be ok. I checked to make sure it wasn't blocking or hindering access to the 'usual' footpath and it wasn't. When I came back, the car in front had gone, and I'd been issued a ticket.

Pete Morris just read your post.I live in Rotherham so might be different rules but wherer I lived before the cars were all parked on the pavement and even a buggy could not pass. I could not get my scooter past the cars and I rang and asked the police what to do.Ha Ha Ha they said 'Is's nothing to do with us its under the laws of the council' so I asked them and they said 'We aren't prepared to enforce that law it's too small a concern'.(Mind you I did the same when I had a car) so I could not use my scooter till I flitted here.So where you live there might be no law...or is it by-law...preventing you parking on footpath.They do it all over in Rotherham and no one bothers.Fortunately my scooter is taxed for the road so not too bad.

Often moving past such cars is so tight that inevitably the car is scratched by the pram or buggy,which is a shame.It seems to work more effectively than the law.

Archived