Is Parking on a footway illegal?

Apparently not though!....I have to say, I was astounded when I got the ticket.

If you have to cross a double yellow line to get to an area you are guilty . Smile as you pay you cant fight councils lawyers, Try R. A. C. or A. A. see if they will back you to fight your case if youthink you are not guilty.

If you have to cross a double yellow line to get to an area you are guilty . Smile as you pay you cant fight councils lawyers, Try R. A. C. or A. A. see if they will back you to fight your case if youthink you are not guilty.

I have past this today,it is not a permit zone,there are are no double yellow lines. behind. where the vehicle is parked.There is a dropped curb!? So work that out.Immediately in front there is a bay with double yellows.There are no signs at all.

PS the pavement infront is normal size.

I have past this today,it is not a permit zone,there are are no double yellow lines. behind. where the vehicle is parked.There is a dropped curb!? So work that out.Immediately in front there is a bay with double yellows.There are no signs at all.

PS the pavement infront is normal size.

I know...It's puzzling but the general concensus of opinions from the forum at large is I'm some sort of master criminal, and should be shot at dawn. Hey ho....I wouldn't mind, but the appeals process was web based, and gives you not much scope for putting your case across, and definitely no opportunity to send the photos I took of the incident, as I felt the ones the traffic warden took were deliberately misleading.

I know...It's puzzling but the general concensus of opinions from the forum at large is I'm some sort of master criminal, and should be shot at dawn. Hey ho....I wouldn't mind, but the appeals process was web based, and gives you not much scope for putting your case across, and definitely no opportunity to send the photos I took of the incident, as I felt the ones the traffic warden took were deliberately misleading.

The photo in biotechpete's post #36 shows it as a permit holder only bay?

The photo in biotechpete's post #36 shows it as a permit holder only bay?

Hmmmm...Now that's odd. That sign would have been right next to my car where it was parked!!!!!...I think I would have seen it, as I looked around for any signs of any description, and the nearest 'other' sign was a good 60 yards further down the hill.

Just checking my pictures on my phone....

Well, I just checked the other pictures I took at the time, and that sign isn't there!

Hmmmm...Now that's odd. That sign would have been right next to my car where it was parked!!!!!...I think I would have seen it, as I looked around for any signs of any description, and the nearest 'other' sign was a good 60 yards further down the hill.

Well, I just checked the other pictures I took at the time, and that sign isn't there!

Which would suggest....it is a designated parking bay, but not covered by 'permits only' as there was no sign displayed.

MAybe the google earth photo is old..? Dunno...

MAybe the google earth photo is old..? Dunno...

Well the google street maps are practically never 'bang up to date'....If I check an old adress of mine from 3 years ago, my car is parked outside...and I've changed my car twice since then!

Is it not reasonable to assume then. If it once was a permit holder only bay, that it would not be illegal (for a permit holder to park there). As there is no signage there now, it must be legal to park there?

Well the google street maps are practically never 'bang up to date'....If I check an old adress of mine from 3 years ago, my car is parked outside...and I've changed my car twice since then!

Is it not reasonable to assume then. If it once was a permit holder only bay, that it would not be illegal (for a permit holder to park there). As there is no signage there now, it must be legal to park there?

It's no longer a permit holder bay..so I assume the yellow lines now take precedence... (as there's nothing to say otherwise)

"What do these mean?

Single and double yellow lines indicate that parking restrictions are in place and no waiting is allowed. You can park on single yellow lines outside the hours of control indicated in the adjacent timeplate, but you cannot park on double yellow lines at any time.

Both single and double yellow lines have the same restrictions for loading, unloading, picking up and dropping off passengers. Single and double yellow lines may also be accompanied by kerb markings, which indicate additional parking restrictions.

Please note that yellow lines apply from the centre of the road to the edge of the highway. This includes pavements and verges alongside the yellow lines. This means that you cannot park on the pavement or verge by a yellow line"

FRom here..

http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Transport%20and%20Streets/Parking/street/singleanddoublelines.aspx

I assume Sheffield is the same

It's no longer a permit holder bay..so I assume the yellow lines now take precedence... (as there's nothing to say otherwise)

Ok...lets assume that some little scrote has ripped the sign off the lamp post.

That would make it 'still' a permit holder only bay, and therefore legal for a permit holder to park there.

Therfore wouldn't my ticket be inappropriate, as it should have said 'parked in a permit only area'...or something like that.

Archived