Help for a Chinese student

There is no distinguishing feature on my laptop, I just want to go around and hope I can find it in second hand shop

When my mothers house was robbed , next day the police knew what hock shop to go to in that area, and just waited for the guy to bring in the stolen items , 2 hours later he was cuffed and taken away, most items returned to my mother.

When my mothers house was robbed , next day the police knew what hock shop to go to in that area, and just waited for the guy to bring in the stolen items , 2 hours later he was cuffed and taken away, most items returned to my mother.

Do you mean that I can go to some hock shops and find them?

Do you mean that I can go to some hock shops and find them?

You might - but the first thingto do is to go to the police.

In my previous post I suggested you contact the University. - If you used your laptop at the uni, then they probably know the MAC address.

They may also be able to tell you the last time it was used on the university network. If it was used after you lost it, that may give you a clue.

Good luck.

You might - but the first thingto do is to go to the police.

In my previous post I suggested you contact the University. - If you used your laptop at the uni, then they probably know the MAC address.

They may also be able to tell you the last time it was used on the university network. If it was used after you lost it, that may give you a clue.

Good luck.

I reported it to police yesterday and the police also told me to go to second-hand shop to try to find them. The laptop didn't use the University net. Thank you very much.

Seems like a good idea.

However, given the generally low file size of thesis's and photos, it would seem to be an obvious move to also put them on one (or several, if really important) USB sticks.

Because USB sticks are convenient and cheap, and, the likes of Dropbox are not infallible. And you can bet that their 'terms and conditions' small-print, states that they won't be accountable for any data loss.

What you end up with there is multiple unsynchronised versions on multiple USB sticks which are, as I'm confident the figures will bear out, a great deal less reliable than dropbox.

No-one will be responsible for your data loss if your USB sticks corrupt either, so that's not an advantage of USB sticks.

The nice thing about dropbox of course, is it will keep a version history of the document as you update it. And naturally, the more computers you use dropbox on, the more identical and updated copies you will have on your hard drives, with a full version history in case you need to revert to an earlier version.

The other good things about dropbox are that you can't step on it, you don't have to actively transfer the correct file each time you want to back it up, you can't drop it in your coffee, it doesn't suddenly corrupt without warning, it doesn't fall over after a limited number of read/write operations, only you can access it, &c &c.

Putting it on a USB stick might be an additional belt and braces approach, but if I wanted that I'd burn multiple copies onto even cheaper and readily available optical media, and keep them off site.

I tend to use USB sticks to transfer large amounts of data between unconnected machines, but I would never entrust anything important to a USB stick.

Archived